Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 18, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    I plan to KEEP it that way.
    Hello again, Rick:

Your body will completely replace your lungs in about 7 years.

excon
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 21, 2012, 06:48 AM
    Hello, I'm Rick. I'm a smokaholic. My last took was about 8pm on Friday the 18th.

It's been difficult, but I've hung in there. Saturday was one of the longest days of my life, yesterday was pretty good. Today is the worst since I am at at my office, which is where I used to do most of my smoking.

I'm just taking it one hour at a time. I figure that I've made it about 62 hours, so I'm pretty sure that I can make it for 63.

I'm thankful for everyone who has encouraged me, prayed for me and thought good wishes for me
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2012, 07:06 AM
    That's more than a third of a week already and by next Monday you will be telling us how many weeks you have under your belt.
    We're still here for you.
    Uber Member

May 23, 2012, 05:38 AM
    4.5 days now. It's crazy to me that when I have cravings they are stronger than they were yesterday...

... but thankfully, the cravings are coming further and further apart.

The little devil on my left shoulder says "Go ahead and have a smoke. One cigarette wouldn't hurt. Heck, you could probably just smoke a couple cigarettes a day and be fine with that..."

But I have the strength (thanks, I'm not ashamed to admit, to the Holy Spirit) to recognize that it's just bunk. I have not stopped smoking for this long in many many years. I KNOW it's a nasty and harmful habit that's not much better than russian roulette.

I never want to go through what I've gone through in the past few days, so I'll just stick with it knowing that it will get better.

AND...

I'm seeing benefits already. My mind is blown at how much my senses of smell and taste have increased.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Hey Rick here's some more incentive for you new research shows that kids who are around smokers are affected by it, it narrows the artries so do it for your kids and grandkids..

The sooner we legislate this filthy habit out of existence the better
    Uber Member

May 23, 2012, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    research shows that kids who are around smokers are affected by it, it narrows the artries so do it for your kids and grandkids..
    If you are talking about secondhand smoke, I agree... even though it does not apply in my case since I've never smoked in my house or around my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    The sooner we legislate this filthy habit out of existence the better
    I do not agree. I am fine with calling smoking cigarettes a "filthy" habit, but we shouldn't make something that some call "filthy" illegal.. . And certainly it is unhealthy to smoke cigarettes frequently... but if we make cigarettes illegal, then what's to stop big brother from making double cheeseburgers with bacon, or the internal combustion engine illegal?

Where would it all stop?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 23, 2012, 08:05 AM
    Recent experience: I don't smoke much, usually only when I drink (which isn't as often as it used to be). Last weekend I was away with my daughter at a large sports competition ahe is involved in. All the parents were staying at the same hotel and we had a busy schedule. We did get together and have some wine in the evenings and that's when I'd usually have a couple of smokes.. but I didn't because the kids were around. Well I went on 6 am cycles each morning an woke up with zero handover and my lungs were in awesome shape for 25 km rides each morning. Had I smoked I would have had a wicked hangover and I'd need my puffer on the ride.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 23, 2012, 09:08 AM
    If you are talking about secondhand smoke, I agree... even though it does not apply in my case since I've never smoked in my house or around my kids.
    Some years ago, I welcomed a new library coworker and began training her on our particular cataloging database. Sometime during the morning, I asked her if she wanted to take a smoke break. "How do you know I smoke?" she asked, greatly surprised. "I don't smoke much, only in my car or outside." I could smell it on her breath as she talked, on her clothes and leather handbag, in her hair as she moved her head. Every time she shifted in the chair next to me I caught a whiff of cigarette odor. So, just because you don't smoke around your kids or in your house doesn't mean people aren't unaffected by or unaware of your smoking. I do give you a standing ovation for quitting.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2012, 02:28 PM
    The smell is definitely easy to pick up. And the first time or two I tried to quit I would sneak a smoke in the men's room at work and then I had to wash my hands and face to get rid of the smell which I knew that non-smokers (who knew I had "quit") would detect and wave the smoke away in case someone came in as I was leaving and would suspect that I had been in there smoking. It gets way to complicated in most settings to get away with it so it is just another good drawback that helps you quit. You have 3/4th of a week in now. You will soon be talking about how long it has been in weeks.
    It will get better.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2012, 05:14 PM

I do not agree. I am fine with calling smoking cigarettes a "filthy" habit, but we shouldn't make something that some call "filthy" illegal. ... And certainly it is unhealthy to smoke cigarettes frequently... but if we make cigarettes illegal, then what's to stop big brother from making double cheeseburgers with bacon, or the internal combustion engine illegal?

Where would it all stop?
    Let's not get carried away here, we have clean air legislation to lower pollution from motor vehicles and why can't we have legislation which lowers the possibility of clogged artries?
    Not everything marketteers think up is good for us and that goes for cigarettes too.You want a double cheeseburger, buy two, you see it probably would never occur to you to do so. We have anti drug legislation and nicotene should be added to the list along with alcohol. Why should we be beholden to vested interests selling products which have bad health and social outcomes simply because goverments find it easier to tax the product rather than ban it. Why shouldn't there be minimum standards for how much salt, sugar and fat can be added to a product?

I can say smoking is a filthy habit because I used to smoke and I know the consequences from ash messing up my clothing to burned furnishings and stained teeth and fingers. I no longer have dragon breath. I support your efforts to be free but don't minimise the harm it does. 40 years on and I still don't have full lung capacity back. I was hooked early and I suffer the consequences today
    Uber Member

May 24, 2012, 08:39 AM
    Thank you all for the encouragement and comments. I'm at a weird place right now. Bittersweet. Loving it and hating it.

I'm proud and excited that I will hit the One Week Clean mark in just a few hours. 1989 was the last time that I quit for more than one week.

The "hating it" part is stronger than I thought it would be at this point. I thought that after 3 days it would be easy.

I keep reminding myself that the short periods of temptation can be overcome with clove, cinnamon or peppermint gum...

... and that my wife and kids will forgive my short temper knowing that it's all for the good...

... I'm a bit jealous of NK's post where he says he smokes occasionally. That is what is killing me. The addict in me says "You can smoke just one today, no harm done".

That will never work for me. I've lasted a week now, so I will last forever. My strength is in the knowledge of my weakness. If I take a puff today, I'll be buying a pack tomorrow.

Nevermore!

I give YOU, my fellow members, much of the credit for my success. It has been very helpful to see/read the feedback from you all.

Thank you; Sincerely.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 24, 2012, 08:46 AM
    Hello again, Rick:

Good for you... You know, making a public proclamation that you're quitting is big too - really big..

excon
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 24, 2012, 09:17 AM
    I have only just found this but well done on your decision Rick and for sticking to it!

I quit for a few months a while back and plan to quit again soon, this time for good as well! You will feel so much better for it health wise, my energy levels skyrocketed last time I kicked the habit.
    Uber Member

May 30, 2012, 06:55 AM
    I've quit counting the hours. Doing so made the hours go by too slowly.

I'm on day 12.

Interesting things are happening.

1. My sense of smell is getting more sensitive. I realize that my car and my office STINKS!. and I can smell a cigar or cigarette from a mile away.

2. Taste buds are getting more sensitive too: My favorite foods taste MUCH better now.

3. I've always had bizarre and lengthy dreams... but now they are even more bizarre and lengthy.

4. My cravings are getting further and further apart... but when they come, they are stronger than they were the previous day. I'm chewing a lot of peppermint and cinnamon gum (yes, sugar free).

5. My wife is liking snuggling more. She says that I smell good. I didn't realize that spraying cologne and eating gum does not really cover up the smell to non-smokers. I'm SO embarrassed for all the times that I went to my parents, went to church, got in bed, etc... thinking that I had covered up the smell.

I thank you all for thinking of me and posting here. Your comments, thoughts and prayers have been a significant help.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 30, 2012, 07:04 AM
    Good on you Rick, you're getting there.
    The third week is a bit of a sod as you have a mini reprise, but you're on the right path..
    Uber Member

May 30, 2012, 08:05 AM
    Excellent, keep it up, your body is loving you.
    Uber Member

May 30, 2012, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Yeah. I am feeling virile, vigorous and potent!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 30, 2012, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    When the wife lets you ;)

Don't forget you also need a target to aim for, something tangible.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 30, 2012, 08:16 AM
    Does this mean we will be hosting a baby shower for your wife in a few months?
    Uber Member

May 30, 2012, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    When the wife lets you ;)

Don't forget you also need a target to aim for, something tangible.
    Agreed, that's why something cardiovascular done with regularity is what works for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quit Claim Question - Husband quit claiming to wife? (no divorce) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the process of finding out how to proceed with a quit claim on a piece of residential property that I purchased in my name only, but after I married my husband. We live in GA (and in the house in question). My understanding is that since I purchased the house after we married, and...

Can your boss assume you quit when you did not quit? [ 8 Answers ]

I have been sick the last few weeks, with a major illness, and one of my bosses has not seen me work for 3 weeks due to me being in high school. I only work 1 day every 2 weeks. My Boss assumed I had quit when in reality I had not quit. Is this legal?

Should I quit? [ 7 Answers ]

Sorry, this is a bit of a long situation to explain... Some of you may remember my story, but I started dating this guy in late February and he broke things off with me in mid May, right before I left school for the summer, for various reasons, all which can be summarized into the fact that he...

Should I take emergency leave of absence and then quit or just quit immediately? [ 4 Answers ]

I have to leave job for which I did not have time to notify my employer 2 weeks before I quit. My planes changed so fast. I have to quit immediately, but I I still have my shift schedule for tomorrow. I work at Starbucks as barista. Should I make call and tell them that my car broke and cannot come...

View more questions Search