Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nikki_13 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2012, 04:41 PM
    Missouri Tenant Rights - Unapproved Lease Extension
    I have ended my lease with my apartment and provided more than the 30 day advance notice that is required. My landlord sent me a letter acknowledging that he received my letter but that my lease expires at the end of the month June 30th rather than June 4th. I only signed a one year lease that ended on June 4th. How can I argue his non agreed upon extension to the end of the month?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2012, 04:46 PM
    Read the lease what does it say?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2012, 05:09 PM
    By showing in the lease, the exact terms. Normally it will be to the end of the month where the date falls within the month, If you signed new lease on June 4th, it will normally expire June 30th in many leases. But read it very carefully.

Yours may not say that,
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 12, 2012, 06:45 PM
    Good answers and advice. Was your first month prorated by any chance?

May 12, 2012, 10:21 PM
    I read the lease in its entirety and it only states that it is a one year lease. The lease began a year ago on June 4th. It states nothing about going until the end of the month.

May 12, 2012, 10:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Yes my first month was prorated because it began on the 4th. With apartments that I have had in the past they would just prorate for the amount of the month that I occupied the apartment.

May 13, 2012, 05:24 AM
    Does the lease say something to the effect of:

For one year, beginning on June 4

Or does it just say for one year and June 4 is your move in date?

The thing is, unless it says specifically for one year beginning on June 4, it could be construed that it is one calendar year, especially since the first month was pro-rated. So, it could be argued either way. Without knowing EXACTLY what it says, we can't tell. Nor can we tell what a court will say. I can say that you can't argue this is a "non agreed upon extension". Clearly it is a matter of interpretation of the lease. I would try to negotiate with the landlord on this point.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 13, 2012, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki_13 View Post
    I have ended my lease with my apartment and provided more than the 30 day advance notice that is required. ...
    I'm not sure that 30 days notice is all that's required to terminate a 1-year lease.

Missouri landlord-tenant statutes provide for tenancies of two different terms: one year and one month. If you have a 1-year lease, it seems to me that you have a 1-year tenancy (payable in monthly installments) and therefore have to give a 60-day notice.

"MO Rev Stat § 441.050.

Tenancy from year to year, how terminated.
    441.050. Either party may terminate a tenancy from year to year by giving notice, in writing, of his intention to terminate the same, not less than sixty days next before the end of the year. "

On the other hand, if it is a month-to-month tenancy, the following section seems to make it clear that your tenancy ends at the "periodic rent-paying date":

"MO Rev Stat § 441.060.

Tenancy at will, sufferance, month to month, how terminated--judgment of eviction, how effectuated, landlord's liability.
    441.060. 1. A tenancy at will or by sufferance, or for less than one year, may be terminated by the person entitled to the possession by giving one month's notice, in writing, to the person in possession, requiring the person in possession to vacate the premises.
    4. (1) Except as provided in subdivision (2), the landlord or the tenant may terminate a month-to-month tenancy by a written notice given to the other party stating that the tenancy shall terminate upon a periodic rent-paying date not less than one month after the receipt of the notice.
    ..."

So, if your "periodic rent-paying date" is the end of the month, you have a legally defensible position, it seems to me.

May 13, 2012, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I'm not sure that 30 days notice is all that's required to terminate a 1-year lease.

"MO Rev Stat § 441.050.

441.050. Either party may terminate a tenancy from year to year by giving notice, in writing, of his intention to terminate the same, not less than sixty days next before the end of the year. "
    Well the OP clearly stated it was a 1 year lease:
    I read the lease in its entirety and it only states that it is a one year lease.
    So that could be what the landlord meant. And that she needed to supply 60 days notice which means the OP is obligated until June 30.

Either way, I think the OP is going to be hard pressed to convince a court she doesn't owe rent until 6/30.

May 14, 2012, 04:57 AM

Missouri landlord-tenant statutes provide for tenancies of two different terms: one year and one month. If you have a 1-year lease, it seems to me that you have a 1-year tenancy (payable in monthly installments) and therefore have to give a 60-day notice.

"MO Rev Stat § 441.050.

On the other hand, if it is a month-to-month tenancy, the following section seems to make it clear that your tenancy ends at the "periodic rent-paying date":

"MO Rev Stat § 441.060.

Tenancy at will, sufferance, month to month, how terminated--judgment of eviction, how effectuated, landlord's liability.
    441.060. 1. A tenancy at will or by sufferance, or for less than one year, may be terminated by the person entitled to the possession by giving one month's notice, in writing, to the person in possession, requiring the person in possession to vacate the premises.
    4. (1) Except as provided in subdivision (2), the landlord or the tenant may terminate a month-to-month tenancy by a written notice given to the other party stating that the tenancy shall terminate upon a periodic rent-paying date not less than one month after the receipt of the notice.
    ..."

So, if your "periodic rent-paying date" is the end of the month, you have a legally defensible position, it seems to me.
    Yes, this apartment required a 30 day notice prior to vacate. This request is not uncommon. This has been the requirement of apartments that I have had in the past. Thank you

May 14, 2012, 05:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Well the OP clearly stated it was a 1 year lease:

So that could be what the landlord meant. And that she needed to supply 60 days notice which means the OP is obligated until June 30.

Either way, I think the OP is going to be hard pressed to convince a court she doesn't owe rent until 6/30.
    So does the state requirement of 60 days override the apartment requirement of 30 days? If so, then would I be required to stay as long as my 60 day notice?

May 14, 2012, 07:34 AM
    If the lease specifically says 30 days notice, then that is what you and the landlord agreed to and it overrides state law. If the lease is silent on the point, then the state law prevails,

But no, you would not be required to continue to live there. However, you would be required to pay the rent for the period, unless the landlord can find a new tenant. If he rents it out priro to 6/30 he can't double dip.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 14, 2012, 08:23 AM
    Yes, this apartment required a 30 day notice prior to vacate. This request is not uncommon. This has been the requirement of apartments that I have had in the past. Thank you
    So does the state requirement of 60 days override the apartment requirement of 30 days?...
    Nikki, I don't want you to misunderstand. Your past experience may be different for any number of reasons, including one or more of the following:
    • you were in a different state;
    • the previous landlord only required 30 day notice;
    • your previous lease specified a 30 day notice;
    • or you didn't have a lease.

But unless your present lease specifies that you only need to give a 30-day notice, or unless your present apartment has an unwritten (or not in the lease) policy to that effect, you appear to be mistaken about an "apartment requirement of 30 days".

May 15, 2012, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Yes my first month was prorated and I was only responsible for the days that I occupied the apartment. My experience is that I get prorated on the front end and have to pay the prorated amount on the back end as well.

May 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    If the lease specifically says 30 days notice, then that is what you and the landlord agreed to and it overrides state law. If the lease is silent on the point, then the state law prevails,

But no, you would not be required to continue to live there. However, you would be required to pay the rent for the period, unless the landlord can find a new tenant. If he rents it out priro to 6/30 he can't double dip.
    So isn't that their responsibility to find a new tenant and that is why they require the 30 day notice so that it will allow for posting/advertisement of the vacancy? I guess I feel as if I am being penalized in some way because this has never happened to me before. This is however the smallest apartment community I have ever lived in, which is why I am concerned with the change.

May 15, 2012, 08:55 AM
    Nikki, I don't want you to misunderstand. Your past experience may be different for any number of reasons, including one or more of the following:
    • you were in a different state;
    • the previous landlord only required 30 day notice;
    • your previous lease specified a 30 day notice;
    • or you didn't have a lease.

But unless your present lease specifies that you only need to give a 30-day notice, or unless your present apartment has an unwritten (or not in the lease) policy to that effect, you appear to be mistaken about an "apartment requirement of 30 days".
    Yes I am becoming quite confused now. I have always resided in this part of Missouri. I have always had a signed lease. Each apartment thus far including this one have required 30 day notice prior to vacate. So since this is their policy can I argue this?

May 15, 2012, 09:47 AM
    Yes i am becoming quite confused now. I have always resided in this part of Missouri. I have always had a signed lease. Each apartment thus far including this one have required 30 day notice prior to vacate. So since this is their policy can i argue this?
    You are mixing up the 30 day notice with the expiration of the lease. The problem is your vacate date is prior to the expiration of the lease. So you can't vacate before the lease expiration.

And yes it is their responsibility to find a new tenant, but you remain responsible for the lease until it ends.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Missouri tenant rights~mold infestation [ 1 Answers ]

My mothers bathroom is INFESTED with mold and her floor is caving in, in Brian spots as well. The mold is literarily EVERYWHERE in that bathroom floor,shower,walls,vanity,toilet... And the landlord ignores the problem. I know poll say mold is very harmful so she tried blessing it but there is no...

Tenant rights under Missouri Law [ 13 Answers ]

I hope someone can answer this question for me. I would appreciate any help. I have a landlord who is very negligent concerning his property. The furnace in my house has developed a gas leak and the gas company shut off the gas. My landlord has known about this for a month and has yet to find...

Tenant Rights with No Lease [ 1 Answers ]

I have a housing covenant but not a lease with my landlords. Are they able to add additional fees such as $20 per day late payment for rent at any time? Please provide me with some insight as to whether this is legal. Thanks!

What rights does a tenant in NY has in the absence of a lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a tenant renting an apartment in a private house and my landlord did not give me a lease, said it was not necessary. Now she has given me 1 month notice, staing effective NOV 1, the rent will be increased by $75, also I hve to pay the same amount towards my security deposit. I am currently...

Renter Rights in Missouri without a signed lease [ 1 Answers ]

I found an apartment to rent on Craigs List on the internet. All of the conversations were verbal and there was no signed rental agreement. The landlord refused to make the property habital... no kitchen, no key to the apartment, no private entrance. I refused to pay rent until we spoke in...

View more questions Search