Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emily_godzilla Posts: 115, Reputation: 5

May 11, 2012, 06:25 AM
    Can a early miscarriage be misdiagnosed?
    Hi,
    My husband & myself have been trying to conceive for many years-without success. We stopped using birth control in 2006 when I began grad school for my masters degree, in 2008 or 2009 I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts. Eventually I was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis.They did do a pelvic surgery which showed that one of my fallopian tubes is blocked. The other is fine. Anyway, I missed my period last summer in July and then again in October. Nov 1st I got 3 positive hpts at home so I went to my primary dr for a blood test. The bloodtest confirmed that I was pregnant. I was told because I have bipolar I am considered "high" risk so they wanted to do a series of blood tests to monitor my hcg before even seeing a obgyn. Nov 1st my level was 81. The next time they checked it it was 241. 48 hrs later it was only 319-that date I remember it was 11-11-11. I started spotting later that day, it was a Friday. I went back Monday and my beta was only 40. They did an ultrasound and said I had an"empty" uterus. I was diagnosed with a "complete and natural" miscarriage based on the hcg levels and ultrasound. By the time they did the ultrasound I was most likely only between 5-7 weeks. MLP was 9/30/11. My question is how accurate is only one ultrasound done that early? Since then I have been getting somewhat irregular periods-but what I believe are periods BUT, the bleeding is much lighter than normal for me-in between periods I am still having pelvic cramping pain, and strange symptoms. It is very likely due to my struggle with infertility and my mental illness, that I may just be in denial about my miscarriage and acceptance of it. Usually because of the endo I have at least one day or night of heavy dark red flow with a lot of clotting. That really has not been happening. I am getting older-i will be 38 in two weeks-my body maybe preparing for the change (menopause).

At the time of the miscarriage, my obgyn dr said that a d and c was unnecessary since I was not that far along-he felt I would pass it naturally. I had one prior miscarriage also by my husband-at age 28. Unfortnately my husband and I have different rh factors-i am negative and he is positive. They think this may have caused this last miscarriage.The first one I was further along probably 10-12 weeks. So I cannot really compare the two-but this one in nov had less bleeding more like spotting but it was much more painful than the first.

Are miscarriages ever misdiagnosed? If I were still pregnant I would be at least 7 months. The symptoms I have: went up a whole bra size, constantly tired/sleeping at least 8 hrs per night then taking 2- 4 hr naps each day for months now, moody, tearful, hungry, bloated only gained about 6lbs but I was already 200 lbs. My clothes especially shirts are not fitting my tummy. Sometimes I feel something that could be kicking but I assume is just gas. It is usually in my stomach or by my ribs.

I am going to see a new gyn/ob in two weeks for my annual. I assume she would know at this point when she sees me what is going on. I met with her the first time in march for a consult about my endo. She was very supportive and prescribed some pre-natal vitamins urging me that me and my husband could try again-since it had been 3 months since the miscarriage.So is monitoring hcg a universal way of telling for sure that somebody has miscarried? Thanks for your time.

Jun 9, 2012, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_godzilla View Post
    Hi,
    My husband & myself have been ttc for many years-without success. We stopped using birth control in 2006 when i began grad school for my masters degree, in 2008 or 2009 I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts. Eventually i was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis.They did do a pelvic surgery which showed that one of my fallopian tubes is blocked. The other is fine. Anyways, I missed my period last summer in july and then again in october. Nov 1st I got 3 positive hpts at home so I went to my primary dr for a blood test. The bloodtest confirmed that I was pregnant. I was told because I have bipolar I am considered "high" risk so they wanted to do a series of blood tests to monitor my hcg before even seeing a obgyn. Nov 1st my level was 81. The next time they checked it it was 241. 48 hrs later it was only 319-that date i remember it was 11-11-11. I started spotting later that day, it was a friday. I went back monday and my beta was only 40. they did an ultrasound and said I had an"empty" uterus. I was diagnosed with a "complete and natural" miscarriage based on the hcg levels and ultrasound. By the time they did the ultrasound I was most likely only between 5-7 weeks. MLP was 9/30/11. My question is how accurate is only one ultrasound done that early? Since then I have been getting somewhat irregular periods-but what i believe are periods BUT, the bleeding is much lighter than normal for me-in between periods i am still having pelvic cramping pain, and strange symptoms. It is very likely due to my struggle with infertility and my mental illness, that i may just be in denial about my miscarriage and acceptance of it. Usually because of the endo i have at least one day or night of heavy dark red flow with alot of clotting. that really has not been happening. i am getting older-i will be 38 in two weeks-my body maybe preparing for the change (menopause).

At the time of the miscarriage, my obgyn dr said that a d and c was unecessary since i was not that far along-he felt i would pass it naturally. I had one prior miscarriage also by my husband-at age 28. Unfortnately my husband and i have different rh factors-i am negative and he is positive. They think this may have caused this last miscarriage.The first one i was further along probably 10-12 weeks. So i cannot really compare the two-but this one in nov had less bleeding more like spotting but it was much more painful than the first.

Are miscarriages ever misdiagnosed? If i were still pregnant i would be at least 7 months. The symptoms i have: went up a whole bra size, constantly tired/sleeping at least 8 hrs per night then taking 2- 4 hr naps each day for months now, moody, tearful, hungry, bloated only gained about 6lbs but I was already 200 lbs. My clothes especially shirts are not fitting my tummy. Sometimes i feel something that could be kicking but i assume is just gas. It is usually in my stomach or by my ribs.

I am going to see a new gyn/ob in two weeks for my annual. I assume she would know at this point when she sees me what is going on. I met with her the first time in march for a consult about my endo. She was very supportive and prescribed some pre-natal vitamins urging me that me and my husband could try again-since it had been 3 months since the miscarriage.So is monitoring hcg a universal way of telling for sure that somebody has miscarried? Thanks for your time.
    Hi,
    Its me again. Just wanted to add additional info. I was rushed to the ER may 28 and again on may 31.On the 28th they diagnosed me with an ovarian cyst in my leg ovary of 6 cm. They gave me morphine and tylenol 4 for pain. On the 31st I took too main tyelenol 4s. I took like 4 over the course of 4 hours. My husband dropped me off like 7am and I was later discharged at 5 or 6 pm. I was given a room on the 31st, but instead of putting me into a pysch unit they put me on the labor and delievery floor in a private room.My ob-gyn gave me two choices: either a complete hysterectomy or a shot of lupron-which they said our insurance would cover. They said initially to get the shot-my choice-i would need to stay the night. But then another dr a female dr said that they could give me the injection and discharge me that same day. Later a nurse came in and said they had to do a hcg beta test before giving me the lupron shot. They took blood and we waited. Then they told me I could just see the dr in his office in six weeks to get the lupron shot. Nothing was even mentioned about the beta test. I was just sent home.My shrink was furious, and wants me to get a second opinion. Is it possible I am still pregnant and nobody will tell me due to any risks I pose myself to the fetus?So confused... my stomach is rock hard, I have trouble sleeping and eating and I constantly have to pee? Am I just going crazy again? My mom-in-law even said I look pregnant. And my brother in law offerred to put up a tree-house in our backyard.And my hubby rubs my belly quite often wth is going on?

Jun 9, 2012, 11:00 AM
    Also, people are acting weird around me. My husband and mother-in-law are constantly trying to get me to eat. I have now gained 10 lbs but I never eat... ugh. This has nothing to do with being overweight or weight loss. I have a masters degree, I realize it is not effective or healthy to lose weight by skipping meals-i am just never hungry till late in the day.my bipolar symptoms have re-surfaced due to my sleeping problems. And the cyst is in my left ovarian-i did not mean to type leg-see above. I got all my medical records and they all list patient denies pregnancy but my beta is negative. And I started spotting on the 31st and spotted on and off for four days... the strangest "period" ever.I am not sure if I am suffering from a 'false-pregnancy disorder' or even worse a "hidden pregnancy" 'pregnancy denial" disorder. I see a different ob-gyn this Tuesday. She did do my annual, but her office never did give me a phone call about my results like they said they would... If I am eight months pregnant by now, they probably would not even operate on the ovarian cyt till later. I have taken hpts all negative. I have a cousin, who when she was 30 went through a hidden pregnancy-she did not even knmown till she was in labor. So scared the same will happen to me... please advise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Threatened miscarriage or misdiagnosed miscarriage? [ 3 Answers ]

I've just recently found out I was pregnant, my period was NOT late yet, but I had light spotting and had high hopes so I took a cheap hpt and it showed up positive(My LMP was 10/20/08). The following day I went to the woman's clinic, I was confirmed pregnant. My OBGYN sent me to a lab for blood...

Early Miscarriage and there symptoms? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm 18 years old(19 in a month), I had been taking Birth control(Ortho 7/7/7), I stopped taking it a month ago because I had been getting my periods 1-3 times a month. My period always starts on Sunday but this month it did not start until Wednesday and on Wednesday it was only a few drops of...

HELP early miscarriage [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone ill try keep this short, I was due my period Monday and done a test (Fr) that day which turned out to be BFP but very faint I done about 3 that day and all the same result . So I done another one Tues and wendsday , same even though I got BFN at the doc I was convinced I was pregnant.....

Early miscarriage? [ 6 Answers ]

I was browsing others' posts and saw one asking about a miscarriage. Another member replied that there is a "sack" that gets discharged in an early miscarriage. I had a similar experience, but I didn't want to be rude and use HER thread to ask MY question, so... Mine may or may not have been a...

Miscarriage in early pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

I was about three months pregnant, then I miscarriaged. After how long can I get pregnant. And How can I prevent the other pregnancy from miscarriage. Please help Thank you What causes miscarriage

View more questions Search