Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toralp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2012, 12:55 PM
    w2 v/s 1099 confused...
    I am a contractor and got offer 65000$ per year on w2 and 68000$ on 1099.
    I have to around 30$ per day commute expense for this job.
    Please help me to figure out, which one is good for me.
    Thank you.
    FirstChair Posts: 179, Reputation: 17

May 10, 2012, 02:14 PM
    Getting both a W-2 and a 1099 may raise a 'red flag' to tax authorities. A person cannot file as an independent contractor and an employee at the same time. If thinking about switching from one to the other, this could raise IRS hot buttons and bottom-line, you can't be both a W2 wage and an independent contractor for the same company. You are possibly taking a risk trigger an IRS investigation. Which might cause them to audit you and that opens a whole new area you might not want to visit, an investigation into your past filing histories looking for taxes you might owe them. Whatever choice you have been filing under I would advise you to stay with that one, unless you have discovered you have been misclassified. Ask yourself, is being investigated for alleged tax fraud worth the risk and might include your employer as well. IRS has some very aggressive tools to use against you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confused about how Form 1099-A will affect my 2011 taxes [ 5 Answers ]

My partner and I were owners of a time share (based on a point system). We have been working with a company to help us get out of our time share. The time share company has said we are no longer under contract with them. They sent us a letter in Oct stating they had terminated our time share...

I am in sales and get a 1099. Can I give another person a 1099 for getting leads? [ 1 Answers ]

I sell software and the software company gives me a 1099. Can I get other salespeople to sell the software, pay them a portion of what I get paid, and give them a 1099? I am not a business.

What if I did not receive a 1099, hubby lost job and cashed 401, but no 1099 received [ 2 Answers ]

Husband lost job, received 401 money,they held out taxes ,but we have not received a 1099,I already e filed our taxes

W-2 earnings and 1099 income - I confused you on the last post [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Thanks for the answer but I think that I confused you. All the sales people at the company that I work for are w-2 employees. The company pays all commissions to their sales people in the form of another check that is not part of the payroll. The issue is, that even though this is a...

1099-G and 1099-INT, filing as a non-resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of India and filing my taxes as a non-resident for 2006. 1.> I received 1099-G of my 2005 state tax refund. In my 2005 federal tax return I had used the standard deduction on line 11 of 1040NR-EZ i.e "Itemized deductions" line since it is entitled to students from India. Is...

View more questions Search