Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    662418082010 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2012, 10:23 AM
    Financially strapped and stressed!
    Less than two years ago I started a new career and was overwhelmed with the amount of money I was manking through commissions. However, not being the best at handling money, I spent every dime I made. I find myself now in a situation where I am financially strapped, creditors calling me constantly for money owed and even friends and family that I have had to borrow money from are calling and not happy with me. I am so stressed over this it is affecting my personal life. I applied for bankruptcy and got a discharge but now find myself in a situation where I will never be able to get ahead. I still have my job and work on commission, but never know when my next pay is coming in. To make things worse, I am in a new relationship and I can't tell him my situation in fear that he will think less of me and not want to be with someone who can't handle her own finances... I don't know how to handle this... please help me!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 08:11 PM
    I know this post is old but I moved it where it may get more exposure. Have you solved this yet?
    Expert

Feb 20, 2013, 05:52 AM
    Have you told your boyfriend of your situation?
    662418082010 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2013, 06:25 AM
    No I have not told my boyfriend. Since this post is old, things have changed slightly for me. I have returned to my old job at a Community College and have a regular pay. I have filled for Debt Consolidation as I can't see any other way to get out of this. It is not bankruptcy, however will affect my credit (well it can't get any worse). I am still stressed, but I hope with this new job and perhaps other avenues (job wise), I will be able to get on top again.

I guess I am just in a rut... at my age (44) I should have something to show for and I do not. My own fault (I know), but it's still hard to accept that I have made so many mistakes to get me here.

I do not want to tell my boyfriend as I mentionned, in fear that he will think less of me. He is so driven and always looking for ways to make more money and plan for the future. He has his own business and owns real estate... I can't compete with that... All I can do is the best I can to help out! I'm sad that I cannot tell him (it is the only secret we have)... but I know, It's a big one!!
    Expert

Feb 20, 2013, 07:44 AM
    That's your key is stop competing or more to the point stop hiding and making him think everything is okay because reading your other posts you are so insecure and afraid of losing him, you are losing yourself. Finances and emotions both require both short term and long term planning, to keep them from bleeding over and affecting your life in many areas and changing your thoughts and actions.

I respectfully submit that you worry less about hiding your fiance's to keep your man, and have something to show for your 44 years, and get a lot more honest with yourself, and your finances so that you can have a more thoughtful WORKABLE plan to follow.

Bottom line is your struggle to keep up appearances of helping out is kicking your butt. And fear keeps you from saying anything about it. I would be insecure and frustrated and tired too at all that energy spent to serve two demanding masters, pride, and dishonesty.

End the charade and relax, and make your effort be effective. At least your budget will be honest, giving you a much better path forward that can be managed much more realistically, without the overhead of fear and insecurity that always comes from hiding the TRUTH.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A move where a man was strapped to a boulder and was teaching this guy a style where [ 1 Answers ]

A karate movie where a man was strapped to a round boulder and he was teching this guy a style where when ever he fights someone he learns there style .

70s Killing scene - a guy is strapped to a gurney and rolled into a pool of mud [ 1 Answers ]

A guy is strapped to a gurney and rolled into a pool of a muddy substance where he goes under and dies. Maybe it was a James Bond film. I believe the scene was at the beginning of the movie. Anybody know?

Financially Irresponsible In-laws [ 9 Answers ]

My wife's parents have lived extremely irresponsible lives and are now in their sixties with no savings and no health insurance. In fact, they often ask one of their other daughters for financial help paying their mortgage and other expenses. My wife and I are in a decent financial position being...

Financially Irresponsible [ 2 Answers ]

My parents are both retired. My father is 70 and my mother is 67. Both have health issues. My father takes care of the finances, however, he has stopped paying all of their bills. My mother is going blind because of an eye disease (maculardegeneration?) and my father is not paying any of the...

View more questions Search