Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mattvigeant Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 10:49 AM
    About license
    I am a handyman and have been doing a little of everything for several years now. I would like to get an electricians license, but at this point in my life I can not afford to work for an electrician at starting wages. Is there any other path that I can take. Can you recommend any literature that would increase my knowledge base, all the books I have seen are study guides for the exam or very basic.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2007, 01:25 PM
    You need to check with your state's requirements for obtaining a license, and what class of licenses are available.

Generally, with the states I am familiar with here in New England, there is an E-2 Journeyman and E-1 Master. To be able to be eligible to sit for an E2 test usually requires a 4 year apprenticeship, which includes On the Job Training working with under an E2's or E1 supervision, and classroom training, that includes algebra, trig, blueprint reading, and of course Code classes.

Sometimes if the math classes were taken during high school they can be waived.

Each state has their own list of hours that must be documented OJT and classes.

An E1 can do the work alone, an E2 must work for or under an E1, and apprentice must work under either.

Some states will let someone who has not served an official apprenticeship program to sit for an E2 test, depending on previous, documented, experience, say coming out of the military, or has worked on an industrial plant.

The primary aspect that needs to be learned is the National Electric Code,the edition that is adopted by your state. Some are still using the 2002, some are using the 2005 edition. The NEC is revised and republished every 3 years. Once a new edition is adopted, many states require those with licenses take an update course before their licenses is renewed.

So, start with the NEC adopted in your state, find out if and when they will adopt the next edition, if your learn the 2002, you will need to learn the changes in the 2005 of which there were many significant changes, that may only been simple wording changes for clarity to entirely re-written sections that are major changes in how something is done.

There are many books available to help learn the code, try first at Mike Holt Enterprises for a sense of what is available. Read through this forum for real questions and answers to code interpretation and solutions.

A very good reference book that explains a great deal from theory, formulas, and real life equipment is the American Electrician's Handbook. Many of these books are a bit costly and must be considered as an investment towards the career.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Feb 26, 2007, 01:38 PM
    I would suggest going down to a library or B&N and look at the Illustrated Guide to the NEC 2005 version. It is an easy read but does little on theory like the American Electrician's Handbook does. The Mike Holt Forum is a good place to frequent, but beware, electrical questions should not be in a DIY fashion. The moderator will bump you off the forum, so do not ask how-to questions unless you are associated in electrical work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaker License [ 9 Answers ]

I need to find out information on "Breaker License" in the United Kingdom.

Drivers license [ 10 Answers ]

I have been told it is illegal to photo copy a driver's license. Is this true? home owner LA CA

License to parent [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any case laws or bills referring to potential parents being required to have a license to parent prior to having children?

A license? [ 5 Answers ]

Do you need a license to drive a boat in the state of Massachusettes?

UK drivers license to US license (but with conviction) [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the UK and I recently crashed my dad's car (without a license nor insurance). I am going to get my full license soon, but the motoring department in the UK have said that I WILL have a conviction on it (obvisouly, for crashing, driving without license/insurance, seatbelts, etc). I am...

View more questions Search