Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kellygreen000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2012, 05:54 PM
    Guns and Felons
    Can a person with a felony live in a house where there is a gun? My spouse is considering purchasing a gun. The gun would be locked. I served my sentence (non-violent crime) 5 years a go. I now reside in NJ
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 11, 2012, 07:08 AM
    Hello k:

In MY opinion, you'll be compliant with the law as long as the gun is LOCKED in a gun safe that you do NOT have access to..

I think a good lawyer would agree, but I don't think the cops would if you're caught...

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 11, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    ... In MY opinion, you'll be compliant ... but I don't think the cops would [agree]...
    And what the police think, and the judge, is much more important than what Excon thinks. Don't do it.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 11, 2012, 07:49 PM
    This is a question that has never been fully answered by the law... it's grey.

Legally, if the gun is locked and your spouse is the only one that has the key. You are compliant... BUT... I have to agree with AK lawyer. Compliant with the law or not, it all comes down to what the cops, prosecutor, and judge think. I have heard of too many instances where things can go bad.

You may be legal and compliant but if a judge decides you're not, it's going to cost you a whole ton of money to try and prove that you are... with no guarantee.

Do either of you want to take that chance? Especially in NJ... one of the toughest anti-gun states in the country.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2012, 08:00 PM
    If the gun is in a safe, and there is no possible way for you to be able to get into it, ** OK, how is that going to happen, she has a key, it is laying around when she is asleep, or a combination, how do you prove you don't know it.

About the only way I can think of, a safe that uses only a finger print lock, where only she can open it.

My opinion, if they find it , for some reason, with you living there, you will be arrested.

I give this example a lot on here, a close family member of mine, had a old single shot shotgun on the wall, it was a old model, rusted shut, barrel rusted over. You could not have forced it open if you tried. Well they did a drug raid twice, could never find anything, ** not that he was not a drug dealer, they just could not find it. Well the second time they noticed the gun, and arrested him for that.

And he is doing about 10 years for it right now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can ex-felons in IL not on parole be around guns [ 6 Answers ]

My felony was in 1996-1997 I did 3 years time. Parole ended in 2002. I would like to move to Wy. And was wondering if I can be in the same household as a person who owns guns.

Can felons own guns after 10 years? [ 5 Answers ]

Can a person with a felony DUI in his past (10 years) own a shotgun for partidge hunting in Minnesota after gettig the felony in California?

Convicted felons and guns [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me why a convicted child molester that had possession of numerous guns would NOT be charged? This man's conviction was in 2002, he was captured in a photo passing a loaded 32 pistol to a deputy. Here is someone who preys on the innocent and is not punished for breaking the law. I...

No guns are to be where son is cared for. In laws have guns [ 3 Answers ]

The court papers say that there are to be no firearms anywhere that my son is being cared for. My son is 5, my ex wants to take him out of state to see his family for 4 days. His father has 5 guns, including 2 that belong to my ex. His mother and sisters all have guns... There is a currant...

View more questions Search