Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    m001980 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Splitting the W2 amounts for Dual-status return
    Hi,

I'm from India and was on F1 OPT status for first six months of 2006 and then on H1B visa for the remaining six months. My wages and federal taxes are mentioned in W2 as $36964 and federal taxes $4894.
    The wages in my F1 OPT status are $10639 and the federal tax is $1170.
    Do I have to report only $10639 in 1040NR EZ wages field or mention the amounts as in
    W2 ? If so, do I have to split the federal taxes also?
    I'm confused as to how to report the wages and taxes in 1040NR EZ and 1040. Do I have to split the wages and tax amounts and report them according to the residency status in both the forms?

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2007, 12:05 AM
    No, you report ALL the money reported in Box #1. If you are filing a dual-status return, ALL of the money is reported and taxed on Form 1040. The money reported on Form 1040NR is for information purposes only.

If you need my professional help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT to H1 status (dual-status?) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This question has been asked a few times already, but I want to confirm. I have been in the US on F-1 since 2003. I was working on OPT from June 2005 to Feb 2006, and on H-1 from Mar 2006 onwards. Should I file as a resident or dual-status? Based on the previous answers, it seems like I...

Dual status [ 3 Answers ]

I was on F1 status until the end of October 2006. From November to December 2006 I have been on H1 visa. Do I qualify for dual status filing and if so which form(s) do I use. Thanks. Hungsch

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

F1 to H1, dual status? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Last year, in the first two months, I was working at my school on my OPT in NY, and then I moved to Florida and am working for a consulting company since March. From March 2nd to August 1st I was OPT status. After August 1st, I changed F-1 visa to H1B visa. From what I read from IRS, I am...

Dual Status (F1+H1) [ 14 Answers ]

AtlantaTaxExpert and other experts, Background: Nationality : India Y2004 F1(OPT) : 20 days H1 : 345 days # of days in US during 2004 : 341

View more questions Search