Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ALC68 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Apartment Owner Liability After Fire
    An apartment building (3 units) caught on fire next door to a house that I own. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined or may not be determined. The building collapsed and burned to the ground. There was extensive damage to my house, and it is considered a total loss. My house was unoccupied and was on the market to be sold. No insurance company would insure my house because it was unoccupied. The owner of the apartment building did not have insurance. Is there any kind of law where an apartment owner has to have insurance? Would the apartment owner be liable to me for property damage if the cause of the fire is not determined? What if the cause of the fire is determined to be a tenant’s fault? This is in West Virginia. Thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 24, 2007, 08:01 AM
    First no he is not required to have insurance, any more than you are required. And of course there is insurance you can get on an empty house, it is basic and very very expensive, but in basis you took a risk not insuring your property also, just like he was taking a risk.

Now if one of his tennants caused the fire, or if it wa arson the person who started the fire can be sued, not the person who was also a victim of someone else.

So you need to wait till the fire marshal is done and a cause of the fire is determined.

Then you can sue the person responsible for the fire.

And your best hope would be it was a tenant and they had a renters policy with liability coverage at this point.

Since being able to sue and even win does not mean you will get any money, collecting is a lot harder than winning

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1 and H4 tax Liability. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am working in US since Sept '06 in US on H1B Visa. My Wife joined me here in US in Oct 06 on H4 Dependent VISA. As per the current W2 form from my employer, my Income is around $19500. Also I have already paid around $4100 towards Federal Taxes and around $1100 towards State taxes . I...

Fire in Apartment what are my rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I had a fire in my apartment that was caused by a grease fire while my cousin was standing over the stove cooking dinner... she was not injured but the sprinkler system went off drowning my kitchen... in the fire the stove, range, and microwave that is attatched above the range were all lost in the...

Tax Liability [ 2 Answers ]

I do payroll for a home based business - can someone tell me the approximate tax liability for an annual income of 14,640 for one of our employees who will be claiming 6 depdendents. She works part-time for us and this is her only income. Is there a table that I can download or some calculation....

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

Apartment being demolished, does owner pay for relocation? [ 5 Answers ]

I moved into this building in Oct 2004. In June of 2005 the original owner sold the apartmet building and property to our Community Hospital. We (there are 4 units in the Bld) were all kind of worried because we heard about the Hospital expantion, and thought they would kick us out. They sent us...

View more questions Search