Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattystrunk Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2012, 10:38 AM
    My 52 year old daughter show no respect recently had to ask he to come help because
    My 52 daughter shows no respect and is very hateful recently had to call her to come and get me at the hospital because her father took ill very suddenly and Iam ill can't cope or drive I was a good parent have never ask for help before what should I do she does not understand
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2012, 11:10 AM
    What does she not "understand" why is she hateful, have you asked her ?
    Often parents and children have very ( and I mean VERY) different memories about growing up. I was recently talking to one of my grown boys, he was going to Spartanburg SC and I told him to go the Beacon to eat, and said it used to be one of his favorite places to eat when we lived there. Not only did not remember ever eating there, he honestly did not remember living in SC. Now he was only 5 or 6 at the time, but to me, this was a great memory, he did not even remember it.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 8, 2012, 11:44 AM
    I have a feeling she is going through something too, and she didn't want to mention it if her father was ill enough to be in the hospital, so she got angry and resentful instead. You don't say how far you live from her, or if she works etc, or has problems too, or whether you could take a taxi or a neighbor could drive you. She may be feeling guilty about what the future holds for both you and her father.
    Why not ask her in a nice way? Ask her if anything is wrong (marriage? Finances? Grown children?), and tell her you are sorry for having to ask her to do this, even if it's something she should volunteer to do.
    Parents can't count on grown children any more than grown children can count on parents. You need to make other arrangements if you and your husband are both going to need a lot of care at medical appointments.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2012, 12:11 PM
    What doesn't she understand?

May 8, 2012, 12:11 PM
    Thank you for responding, she does not understand that I am sick and can't take care of her dad I have stage 3 copd and have times they put me on high dose steroids and having trouble breathing and cannot help her dad who fogets his meds etc, this is the 1st time I have ask for help from her my son is the one that always help when it was needed but he died suddenly in feb she is very hurtful and won't even try to get it, I am thinking she just does not want to be botherd and getting mad is her way of not helping.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2012, 01:50 PM
    Wow - you've just lost your son, you have to be grieving, and you and your husband are both sick. That's a lot going on.

Have you had issues with your daughter in the past, or is this something new?

Have you tried talking to her?

I'm so very sorry about your son.

May 8, 2012, 04:20 PM
    Thank you, yes, she just gets mad and yells says I need to figure out how to deal with it, which I will, but I don't understand why she is so mean really hurts,she was like that with her grandmother when she was sick too, did not think she would be like that with me my mom got her feelings hurt all the time but my daughter was there taking anything she could when she died. She is always there for her friends but no time for her parents they think she is wonderful or that's what she tells me very confused on if I should just not call or try to contact her anymore?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 8, 2012, 04:43 PM
    She's hurting you too much. It may be something deep seated about dealing with death - or she's just plain selfish, who knows (you must have SOME inkling). But that's just a reason, not an excuse. So don't ask her anymore, and have Visiting Nurses arrange Medicare help, and find out what Social Services there are for driving seniors to doctors, and wait. She may realize what she is missing.

May 8, 2012, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    She's hurting you too much. It may be something deep seated about dealing with death - or she's just plain selfish, who knows (you must have SOME inkling). But that's just a reason, not an excuse. So don't ask her anymore, and have Visiting Nurses arrange Medicare help, and find out what Social Services there are for driving seniors to doctors, and wait. She may realize what she is missing.
    Thank you this is what I was thinking too it is just sad :(
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

May 8, 2012, 05:43 PM
    Hi Patty,
    As a former geriatric nurse, I really don't like to hear that when seniors are in need they have a difficult time getting the help that they need from those around them.
    As far as your daughter goes, I don't have an answer for you, I wish I did.
    I've seen really great family members, and some mediocre, and some I wish I'd never met.

You are going through a lot, and to have recently lost your son, my heart goes out to you.
    My thought here was this. Do you attend church?
    And if so are there members there who could possibly assist you with some of your transportation needs?

I wish you and your husband the best and I truly hope you find the resources you need to help you with these issues.
    Again, my thoughts are with you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2012, 05:59 PM
    This is not really too uncommon, many children don't feel they have the time or are too busy with their work and life. Does she have a job, would she need to take time off from work, is she having money issue and would taking off work be hard on her.

May 8, 2012, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Hi Patty,
    As a former geriatric nurse, I really don't like to hear that when seniors are in need they have a difficult time getting the help that they need from those around them.
    I've seen really great family members, and some mediocre, and some I wish I'd never met.

You are going through a lot, and to have recently lost your son, my heart goes out to you.
    And if so are there members there who could possibly assist you with some of your transportation needs?

I wish you and your husband the best and I truly hope you find the resources you need to help you with these issues.

Thank You for the well wishes I will be ready next time and won't ask for her help again still in shock over her bad behavior :(
    Uber Member

May 9, 2012, 04:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Hi Patty,

Wow - again, too "good" for just a "like." Very, very true.

My late husband was in and out of the hospital for years. I saw family members of other patients who fit into every category - downright abusive, neglectful, concerned, not concerned, neutral. Very often the family support (or lack thereof) was shocking.

In my area the Red Cross provides transportation as do specialized Associations - Heart Association, Cancer, etc.

May 9, 2012, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Wow - again, too "good" for just a "like." Very, very true.

My late husband was in and out of the hospital for years. I saw family members of other patients who fit into every category - downright abusive, neglectful, concerned, not concerned, neutral. Very often the family support (or lack thereof) was shocking.

In my area the Red Cross provides transportation as do specialized Associations - Heart Association, Cancer, etc.
    Thank You yes very shocked at our daugters response I always took care of my parents and so did my husband she was raised in loving home and that family came 1st so I don't know :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 21 year old daughter stays out all night and does not respect our request to call. [ 16 Answers ]

My daughter stays out all night with her friends, she is 21 years old goes to school and works part-time. All I ask is that she calls to let us know when she'll be home and where she is. I just want to know she is safe and not dead in a ditch somewhere. She refuses to call stating she is 21...

I recently caught my 7 year old daughter and my 3 year old son "making out" [ 1 Answers ]

I asked 100 questions about what they were doing and where they seen it or heard about it and everyone just kept saying I don't know. I'm not sure who's idea it was or where the idea came from but I'm very concerened. I know they are not victims of abuse because they love school and the only people...

My 16 year old stepdaughter does not respect and his sexually active. [ 2 Answers ]

Her mother has no rules and believes she has done nothing wrong. We are trying to instill morals and values. Yet, she wants to be like her mother and provoke men and dress inappropriate. What should we do?

17 year old daughter and husband of 10 years don't respect each other [ 2 Answers ]

I was married when I was 23 years old and had two daughters. My then husband, left me and did not want anything to do with our daughters. Never wanted to see them, never paid child support or anything. When my girls were 5 and 6 years old, I met someone. The girls really loved him at first. We got...

No respect from 22year old daughter [ 5 Answers ]

My husband left me when my daughter was only 3. I brought her up myself, always worked full time and even completed a post graduate course which I had started just 2 months before he left so I could earn a bit more. I did my very best for my daughter and avoided spoiling her. I put my own life...

View more questions Search