Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kavanagh4 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2012, 12:39 PM
    Siding over T1-11
    Hello, I would like to install vinyl or fiber cement siding over the T1-11 that is currently on my home. The T1-11 and housewrap under it are both in good shape, no repairs needed. I have gotten conflicting advice on whether to add another layer of housewrap over the T1-11 before installing the vinyl siding. It doesn't sound right to sandwich the T1-11 between 2 layers of housewrap, what is the correct way to do this?
    Thanks,
    Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 6, 2012, 01:46 PM
    No additional wrap is needed.BTW a house wrap is not normally a moisture barrier so another layer won't hurt, just in your pocket book.
    kavanagh4 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2012, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kavanagh4 View Post
    Hello, I would like to install vinyl or fiber cement siding over the T1-11 that is currently on my home. The T1-11 and housewrap under it are both in good shape, no repairs needed. I have gotten conflicting advice on whether to add another layer of housewrap over the T1-11 before installing the vinyl siding. It doesn't sound right to sandwich the T1-11 between 2 layers of housewrap, what is the correct way to do this?
    thanks,
    Tom

Thanks for the reply. Are furring strips needed or just apply the new siding directly over the T1-11?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 6, 2012, 02:06 PM
    No furring needed but mark where your old T1 is nailed, that's where the studs are so place your new nails in the same verticle plane

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding vinil siding over cedar siding [ 3 Answers ]

My house have cedar siding I do like to know if I can add vinal siding over it, if I can how should I do it, or what kind of insulation can I use. Thanks

Siding Repair - Which do you prefer Hardie Plank or Vinyl Siding? [ 1 Answers ]

I am actually someone who is looking for tips on renovation. This month I am planning on doing some siding repair. I am currently using vinyl but I was wondering if it would be advisable to still use vinyl and just repair my siding or would it be better to replace it with hardieplank? Please if...

Installing vinyl siding over cedar siding [ 4 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to install vinyl siding right over top of cedar siding?

Siding [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking at purchasing a home that has been tested and has asbestos siding on it . I need to know roughly what it would cost me to cover it up .

Siding [ 9 Answers ]

Is there an easy way to take aluminum siding off a house? I need to take a little section off to look underneath there and I am having a hard time. It is nothing like vinyl siding.

View more questions Search