Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Happiours Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 02:20 PM
    Two of four jacks don't work
    I just moved in to a ten year old house and two of the jacks do not work. I found this when I tried to connect an AT&T wireless modem. I do not have any land line type phones to test with but could borrow one. The jacks are all connected to the blue and blue/white wires. Is there a way to electrically test the jacks or the wires leading to them/ What voltage should I get when they are powered? I suspect that one of the lines in the attic is the problems source.

Thanks

Tom
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 5, 2012, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Happiours View Post
    I just moved in to a ten year old house and two of the jacks do not work. I found this when I tried to connect an AT&T wireless modem. I do not have any land line type phones to test with but could borrow one. The jacks are all connected to the blue and blue/white wires. Is there a way to electrically test the jacks or the wires leading to them/ What voltage should I get when they are powered? I suspect that one of the lines in the attic is the problems source.

Thanks

Tom
    YOU need to explain more about this Wireless modem... what model is this...

Wireless modems don't connect to landlines. That makes them a wired modem. Now there are DSL modems that have WiFi ports on them that need a landline.

WiFi and Wireless aren't the same thing. WiFi is short range... Wireless is just like a cell phone with a data plan.
    Happiours Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    YOU need to explain more about this Wireless modem....what model is this...

Wireless modems don't connect to landlines. That makes them a wired modem. Now there are DSL modems that have WiFi ports on them that need a landline.

WiFi and Wireless aren't the same thing. WiFi is short range.....Wireless is just like a cell phone with a data plan.

AT&T supplied a DSL modem/WiFi GR22DDNETDSL. When I first plugged it in to the telephone wall jack the broadband light stayed red. I treied a jack in another room and it worked as it should and there was no red light. I tried another room and the broadband indicator light is red which indicates that it is not going to work. I did not check voltage or resiustance on the lines. I will do that this weel when I return from out of town. Unfortunately the two room that it does not work in are the two choices where I would place the DSl modem/router.

Tom
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 5, 2012, 06:16 PM
    OK, that's what I thought, the two are completely different things. What you have is WiFi... not Wireless. (even though both are actually wireless in the physical sense).

WIreless G should carry into other rooms and across the house... WIreless N (which I doubt this is) is more prone to attenuation through walls and floors.

I'm willing to bet most likely the problem lies with the jacks... HOWEVER... and this is important... the fault might lie in the wiring itself. Even if you can plug a phone in and have it work. The electrical characteristics of the old wires in the walls might prevent DSL from working. Years ago when I first Got DSL when it was fairly new... I had to run new wiring in my house to get it to work... it would not work on any existing jack in my house... and my wiring dates back as early as 1963.

The only thing you are going to prove with a Multimeter is connectivity... to test the actual wiring functionality for the use intended you would need a Transmission Impairment Test set... known as a TIMS. Something only the phone company will have... and you'd have to know how to use it, and who to use it with.

Yes I actually have one... so you can guess why (though I haven't actually used it in years).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2012, 06:31 PM
    Are the wires for all four jacks wired into the main box on the side of the house ? Sometimes when a new line is ran, they may disconnect one not used.
    joecoolvette Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

May 5, 2012, 11:45 PM
    Have AT&T perform a check on the line, (Ping), and have your modem plugged into power, and computer plugged in.

Also ask to have a tech check the line at your outside phone box.

Last one I had hooked up, AT&T rep stated the line was fine.

Nope.
    Had them send a tech out to check the line.

In the outside box the wiring on their end, (In my outside phone box; phone company side), was different from their sub-terminal, (Box)

Then someone in the office had to 'switch wires around'??

Really?

Voltage on your end?
    5 Volts DC

Regards,
    joecoolvette

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bowling jacks [ 1 Answers ]

What are indoor bowling jacks made of.

Additional DVD jacks [ 1 Answers ]

I need at least 2 more video/audi jack on my DVD recorder. It only cam with one. Is there an adapter that can be used?

2 telephone jacks don't work [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I need some help. I live in a 3 bedroom apartment. There are 4 phones. 2 work and 2 do not. 1.) The kitchen phone works. The wires are as follows: LEFT------Top: Green, -----------Bottom: Yellow RIGHT----Top: Black

Rewiring phone jacks [ 2 Answers ]

I read through other similar topics and couldn't find an answer. Just had the phone company out as my line was dead. Problem with wiring in the house. The pair of wires (white w/ blue mark, blue w/ white mark) that were hooked up to line one In the NIC box (red/green connectors) supposedly...

Telephone Jacks [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a new home. The previous owner had 4 jacks, one which I know was working since they hadn't canceled their phone service and the phone had a dial tone and we received calls. When it was canceled, I ordered service from the same company, Verizon, now only 1 jack is working and not...

View more questions Search