Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kita11_30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 02:12 PM
    A fight after I scratched someone's car with no police report
    I was backing out of a parking lot when I accidentally scratched another parked car. I didn't notice but I heard someone yelling "you hit my damn car, you hit my damn car!" so I stop. I wasn't even completely backed out of my spot. My passengers got out of the car to tell the lady that I wasn't going anywhere as I was looking for my insurance to prove to her that I wasn't going anywhere. Then the lady punched my friend in the back of the head and more people started hitting her. Someone sprayed mace to get them off her. The police arrived to break up the fight. I explained to them what happened with my eyes closed(bcuz I had mace in them). I still had my insurance close by so I felt my way around I gave it to the officer along with my license. The officer then told me to leave since he didn't see any damages and there was no police report. So I left because people where still trying to punch us. I just got a letter from my insurance saying there was a claim and I need to respond back in 10days. This whole ordeal happened a month ago tomorrow. What do I need to do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 5, 2012, 02:32 PM
    You need to respond to the claim within 10 days. If you didn't report the accident to your insurance company and this happened more than 30 days ago your insurance company could deny the claim and you would be forced to pay out of your own pocket.

Almost everything you posted is immaterial. The facts are - you were backing out, you hit another car and caused damage.

That's all the insurance company cares about.

I'm an investigator. Your story has flaws and things that don't make sense, but that's all immaterial.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2012, 04:07 PM
    Let me see, "people" hit and attacked your friend. You had to use mace. The police came and no one went to jail

Sorry somewhere this is not a true story.

Yes they may file a claim, and your insurance will pay to have their car fixed.

Your friend could press charges for being hurt against the person who hit them.

Depending on who you maced you could have charges pressed against you, depending on how it was done.

And the officers can be charged, since they were allowing ( according to your story) your friend to still be punched with the officers standing there.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 5, 2012, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Let me see, "people" hit and attacked your friend. You had to use mace. The police came and no one went to jail

Sorry somewhere this is not a true story. ...
    OP wrote that " someone sprayed mace ...". That would be, presumably, someone other than OP. But I agree, sounds fishy. And how did OP drive off while being half-blinded?
    kita11_30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 10:17 PM
    Flaws probably because I didn't tell you that this was a club parking lot and mostly black people. I'm black myself and to tell you the truth. I was scared for my life because at one point I could see. I didn't drive off while being blind... time had passed of course. I was able to see after a while. This is how it happened. The police weren't originally there and none where called... they where around the club parking lot. My passenger was trying to explain to the persons car I had just hit "friend". The person whom the car was for was still screaming and eventually she just walked around the car and hit my passenger. More people started to crowd her and my 2nd passenger sprayed mace to get them off... there were 3 of us and more than 10 of them. I appreciate your answers. I will respond to the letter. Thank you. Its all true. No reason to lie when I'm trying to get help.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 6, 2012, 04:12 AM
    (A little personal irony for me, because I often cringe at the number of times I (white) wonder what race/nationality people are in a story, yet this is one story where it never occurred to me.)
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 6, 2012, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kita11_30 View Post
    ... The person whom the car was for was still screaming and eventually she just walked around the car and hit my passenger. more people started to crowd her and my 2nd passenger sprayed mace to get them off. ...
    So, essentially, a riot was going on when the police arrived.

I was puzzled as to why the police just told everyone to go away. But now I see that they had no way of telling who did what, and they just wanted to resolve the situation. Makes sense.

But for your information: from what you say, it appears that the owner of the car you hit over-reacted. She had no right to hit your passenger. And your second passenger probably should not have used the mace.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 6, 2012, 06:07 AM
    In NY you can be arrested for assault if you mace someone. The Police had no interest?

That's another subject.

The insurance answer is to turn it over to your insurance company. If too much time has passed they have the right to deny the claim.

I'm assuming this didn't happen in NY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Accident, No police Report [ 17 Answers ]

I was involved in an accident today. It was a fender bender. There was no damage to other persons car. She claimed there was on side of her car however, I hit her bumper! That was it. We exchanged phone numbers and insurance and she asked for my drivers license number which I gave her. We never...

No police report car accident [ 6 Answers ]

My 16 year old daughter rear ended a car. The police were not called and there was no visible damage to other vehicle. Only minor damage to our vehicle. The driver took my name and number, but did not ask for insurance information. I do not think they filed a police report. Other driver called...

Car accident no police report [ 7 Answers ]

I was involved in an accident on 12nov. Yes,I was my fault.although,no police report was taken,we did submit info.I was later contacted by the person whom I hit insurance compny stating,the had done an apprasial and it would total over 1300! I do not have 1300.. I have stated that I would like to...

Car accident w/o police report. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm seeking legal advice about a car accident I was involved in. I stopped in the parking lot (there weren't a lot of cars there). The car in front of me was pulling out and backed into me. The damage is not big, but there are some big scratches on my bumper and the front light. The...

View more questions Search