Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knjoshipura Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 12:19 AM
    Rain cloud temperature
    What is approximately the temperature of the rain cloud?

I am asking this because someone asked me another question; why do the rain drops NOT get warm as they pass through air while falling? The reason I think is two-fold. (I) the initial temperature of the drop while leaving the cloud is low enough (-is it true? How much?). (ii) The rain drops usually achieve terminal speeds ~ 10m/s, and are not falling fast enough to become warm.
    Please answer both these (related) questions. I am Physics teacher and hence a student. Thanks
    ... KNJoshipura...
    Chic_Bowdrie Posts: 54, Reputation: 8

May 5, 2012, 11:49 PM
    Clouds can be a wide range of temperatures depending on how they form, but usually 0 to 15 deg C. If rain drops don't warm as they fall through warmer air below, it is probably because some of the drop evaporates and that keeps the drop cool.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cartoon movie about a bear family rain rain go away? [ 4 Answers ]

I use to watch a cartoon movie- probably made in early 80's about a bear family and they sang a whole bunch of nursery rhymes like rain rain go away and I think London bridges... the baby bear was peabody and also a cartoon movie about safety- it had songs about not talking to strangers, what to do...

Fahrenheit temperature as a function of Celsius temperature [ 9 Answers ]

Given that the relationship between the two temperature scales is linear, use the facts that water freezes at 0 degrees C and 32 degrees F and boils at 100 degrees C and 212 degrees F to DERIVE a formula to express Fahrenheit temperature as a function of Celsius temperature. Show the derivation of...

Temperature increases even after reaching programmed temperature [ 3 Answers ]

I have a NOMA thermostat (model 52-2558-8). After reaching the programmed temperature, the furnace stays on without shutting down (8 degrees before I manually shut it off). Is this a thermostat issue or a furnace problem?

Who sings I'm going to let it rain tell me can you let it rain [ 1 Answers ]

I'm going to let it rain tell me can you let it rain allnight

Cloud Nine [ 3 Answers ]

My best friend was dating thi guy and she kept cheating on him now its over. I began talking to him as I friend because I cared deeply about his feeling during this time in his life. I had been talking to him frequently an began to fall in love with him he has an awesome personality he is a great...

View more questions Search