Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joeandlynne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2012, 10:34 PM
    How to install basement vinyl windows in metal window opening
    We have aluminum basment windows installed in metal framing that was installed during construction in a poured concrete basement. How to attach vinyl replacement windows into the steel framework?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 5, 2012, 03:48 AM
    I'm pretty sure you can't. A vinyl (or wood/vinyl) window set up comes with vinyl flanges to attach to the outside of the house. The sash-alone windows are designed for wood framing or for inserting into a smooth space with two liners on each side. I would imagine you have to remove the metal frames (are you sure they are steel?).
    Or you could add a picture here.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 5, 2012, 09:16 PM
    You can install a wooden buck that attaches to the frame and then use a replacement window.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Going rate per window install opening for sub [ 1 Answers ]

How much does hd pay subs per window opening to install tampa,fl

How do you repair the block wall opening to receive a vinyl window? [ 2 Answers ]

We removed the metal frame from the basement apartment windows and the concrete blew out. How do we repair the opening to receive the replacement windows with out using wood?

Install a free vinyl window. [ 5 Answers ]

How do I install a new (free) horizontal sliding glass window into my old construction shed. It has no nailing flanges, it is 35-1/2 in. X 41-1/2 in.

How to install replacement vinyl windows into a concrete basement. [ 5 Answers ]

We have a 1955 bungalow. We want to replace the original wooden windows in the basement with vinyl sliding windows. The basement walls are about 8" concrete. The rough opening is 36" x 24" We believe that we need to remove the old windows and frame, then put in a new frame of pressured treated...

Metal framed basement windows [ 1 Answers ]

I was planning on prying out the old metal frames & replacing my basement windows with vinyl replacements. Is the original frame of any structural significance?

View more questions Search