Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dunno1986 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2012, 12:03 PM
    Can I still finish nursing school
    I recently got a criminal background check back and it had several assault on female charges. They all date back more than 10 yrs ago, since I have changed my life around and started school I applied for nursing program in N.C. can I get in? Oh yeah I am a black male.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 5, 2012, 02:31 AM
    As it appears you have a record for assault it seems that you would be wasting your time and money going to nursing school. Please read the following quote from the NC Board of Nursing...

§ 90-171.48. Criminal history record checks of applicants for licensure. —
    (a) Definitions. — The following definitions shall apply in this section:
    (1) Applicant. — A person applying for initial licensure as a registered nurse or
    Licensed practical nurse either by examination pursuant to G.S.90-171.29 or
    G.S.90-171.30 or without examination pursuant to G.S.90-171.32. The term
    "applicant" shall also include a person applying for reinstatement of licensure
    Pursuant to G.S. 90-171.35 or returning to active status pursuant to G.S. 90-171.36
    As a registered nurse or licensed practical nurse.
    2) Criminal history. — A history of conviction of a State crime, whether a
    Misdemeanor or felony, that bears on an applicant’s fitness for licensure to
    Practice nursing. The crimes include the criminal offenses set forth in any of the
    Following Articles of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes: Article 5, Counterfeiting
    And Issuing Monetary Substitutes; Article 5A, Endangering Executive and
    Legislative Officers; Article 6, Homicide; Article 7A, Rape and Other Sex
    Offenses; Article 8, Assaults; Article 10, Kidnapping and Abduction; Article 13,
    Malicious Injury or Damage by Use of Explosive or Incendiary Device or
    Material; Article 14, Burglary and Other Housebreakings; Article 15, Arson and
    Other Burnings; Article 16, Larceny; Article 17, Robbery; Article 18,
    Embezzlement; Article 19, False Pretenses and Cheats; Article 19A, Obtaining
    Property or Services by False or Fraudulent Use of Credit Device or Other Means;
    Article 19B, Financial Transaction Card Crime Act; Article 20, Frauds; Article
    21, Forgery; Article 26, Offenses Against Public Morality and Decency; Article
    26A, Adult Establishments; Article 27, Prostitution; Article 28, Perjury; Article
    29, Bribery; Article 31, Misconduct in Public Office; Article 35, Offenses
    Against the Public Peace; Article 36A, Riots and Civil Disorders; Article 39,
    Protection of Minors; Article 40, Protection of the Family; Article 59, Public
    Intoxication; and Article 60, Computer-Related Crime. The crimes also include
    Possession or sale of drugs in violation of the North Carolina Controlled Substances
    Act in Article 5 of Chapter 90 of the General Statutes and alcohol-related offenses
    Including sale to underage persons in violation of G.S. 18B-302 or driving while
    Impaired in violation of G.S. 20-138.1 through G.S. 20-138.5.
    However, with that said, please read the following...

(c) If an applicant’s criminal history record check reveals one or more convictions listed
    Under subsection (a)(2) of this section, the conviction shall not automatically
    Bar licensure. The Board shall consider all of the following factors regarding
    The conviction:
    (1) The level of seriousness of the crime.
    (2) The date of the crime.
    (3) The age of the person at the time of the conviction.
    (4) The circumstances surrounding the commission of the crime, if known.
    (5) The nexus between the criminal conduct of the person and the job duties
    Of the position to be filled.
    (6) The person’s prison, jail, probation, parole, rehabilitation, and employment
    Records since the date the crime was committed.
    (7) The subequent commission by the person of a crime listed in subsection (a) of this
    Section.
    If, after reviewing the factors, the Board determines that the grounds set forth in
    Subsections (1), (2), (3), (4), (5), or (6) of G.S. 90-171.37 exist, the Board may deny licensure
    Of the applicant. The Board may disclose to the applicant information contained in the
    Criminal history record check that is relevant to the denial. The Board shall not provide
    A copy of the criminal history record check to the applicant. The applicant shall
    Have the right to appear before the Board to appeal the Board’s decision. However, an appearance
    Before the full Board shall constitute an exhaustion of administrative remedies in accordance
    With Chapter 150B of the General Statutes.
    Now it may be possible to get your license, but finding work with a criminal background could prove impossible as the majority of nurses looking for work do not have criminal backgrounds and, thus, you will be overlooked for a nurse with a more favorable background.
    QUUEN B Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2014, 05:38 PM
    I think tis is so wrong, because this is what holds down a good person .one mistake will cause you a life time of no jobs.you may have gone to prision and served your time, but the real time starts when you get out , they don't give you a chance, they only provide time for you to go back and comitt another crime, because you cannot get any work.this is a lot of bull.I do not see if you have a non viloent felony why you cannot go into nursing
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 13, 2014, 05:43 PM
    That's life... as adults we make choices and we all must live with the consequences of our choices and actions, some of those are far reaching. You find a different career, there are many others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can you get into US college if you finish high school in some other country? [ 7 Answers ]

Can I get into US university after I finish high school in my country(Bosnia)?School system is different I've been looking for answerers on every site I could remember but I couldn't find Please help

Need finanical help to finish school [ 2 Answers ]

I am a returning student and have serious debt... I owe a student loan not a large amount less than 3000.00 and I need to finish school... having a hard time finding work... age is problem and education... need to know how to get a loan that will consolidate the past student loan and add at much as...

Time needed to finish medical school? [ 2 Answers ]

How many years does it takes to study in medical school? And how many years is the internship?:confused:

I need to finish school, but don't want to end it. [ 4 Answers ]

I fell in love with a beautiful woman at my original school, but she moved away the next semester because she didn't fit in. We did the long distance relationship for nearly eight months (our total time going out is thirteen months). So, to show her how strong I felt about her and to try out a...

View more questions Search