Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monkeys8119 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2012, 03:13 PM
    Is GI bill chapter 33 BAH subject to garnishment?
    Is Chapter 33 post 9/11 GI bill BAH subject to garnishment by a federal student loan in default status?
    Idontsignup Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2016, 07:32 PM
    VA benefits (including the G.I. Bill) are NOT garnishable, even by judgment creditors (creditors with successful court judgments against you) and are automatically protected by you bank under the following federal law passed in 2013: "31 CFR 212" (http://cfr.regstoday.com/31cfr212.aspx). Judgment creditors are not even allowed to freeze your bank account funds (up to the amount deposited by the federal government); the bank MUST keep those funds flowing, as normal, per the same law. Bear in mind, any amount in excess of your federally deposited benefit IS garnishable, and can be still be frozen by court garnishment order (pending your right to object to execution of the order on the basis of an exemption).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2016, 08:23 PM
    The post 911 GI Bill allowed GI benefits not to be subject for garnishment (with the exception of person child support if they got a court order to allow garnishment of Federal funds.

The banks are to look at the coding of the funds and review a two month period of any bank account funds are paid into, as to what funds may or may not be from Federal sources.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a wage garnishment out of my pay check for ambulance bill can they do this [ 8 Answers ]

I have a wage garnishment from SC levy against my paycheck for anmbulance bill, can my employer do this

GI Bill Chapter 30 - Child Support? [ 4 Answers ]

My son's dad was in the military when we got our child support established. Now, 4 years later, he's trying to lower his support. He gets $660.50 per semester, I believe, for school from the GI Bill. From what I understand, he does NOT have to pay back what he doesn't use towards school. Is...

Medical bill garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

If a creditor demands 500.00 dollars per month on medical bills, and I can only afford to pay 100.00 per month, can they sue me or garnish my wages if they continue to cash the check I mail them each month?

Garnishment of bank account for payment of medical bill [ 6 Answers ]

A creditor has won a judgement against me in court for a past due medical bill, and my checking account was garnished and consequently overdrawn. The debt was not completely discharged. I have just filed for SS disability, and have no income and don't expect to have any soon. My family has...

View more questions Search