Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 1, 2012, 05:51 AM
    Email admissibility
    I was in Court yesterday (part of work) when a Judge refused to admit emails as evidence in a matrimonial action. The reasoning was that there was no proof (even though the emails had gone back and forth, acknowledging a debt and an agreement) that the parties to the action were the parties to the emails.

One of the Attorneys offered to bring his client's computer into Court so the hard drive could be examined but was denied. A fairly substantial dollar amount was involved. The Judge went on to say that he will not accept emails and text messages in Small Claims Court (where, as far as I know, he never sits, so that statement was for effect only). For whatever reason I felt the Judge was posturing and it was his way or the highway - but he held fast.

It's been my experience that emails ARE evidence, and I've seen it in the past. I've advised people here on AMHD that emails are admissible in lower Courts and superior courts.

Anyone have any experience with anything like this? I cannot find any law. The Attorneys were scrambling, but I won't be back in that Courtroom so I'll never know - !
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2012, 06:26 AM
    Emails can be fairly well faked now adays, almost like we can edit posts people put here.

And since the emails can be sent from cell phones, other computers, just one computer may not show you anything from being checked. Unless both sides accept the emails as facts I am surprised they are used and accepted as much as they are.

I have not personally seen emails used, but I can understand this judges stance.
    I will assume one attorney objected ?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 1, 2012, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    ... The reasoning was that there was no proof (even though the emails had gone back and forth, acknowledging a debt and an agreement) that the parties to the action were the parties to the emails. ...
    A writing on paper, signed by a party, can be impeached by the party's testimony that he/she didn't write it. Then it comes down to forensic evidence as to whether the writing is genuine.

E-mails can be proven in much the same way. The judge was simply being lazy, ignorant, or both. Some judges seem to think they are God, and those judges don't belong on the bench any more. He might be overturned on appeal, but he knows that the likelihood of prevailing on appeal is slight. The general rule is that the trial judge is given great latitude in questions of admitting evidence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone has hacked my email address book and is sending spam email to addresses in [ 2 Answers ]

Someone has hacked into my email address book and is sending spam to addresses from my book. How can I stop this?

My Ex Hacked into my email Account and changed the password and alternet email address [ 1 Answers ]

My email that was broken into was [email protected] and the alternet email address was [email protected]. My password and alternet email address was changed I think he might of even closed the account I have a lot of important contacts on that account it there any way you can reset the password...

My Ex Hacked into my email Account and changed the password and alternet email address [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way you can reopen my account and reset my password for [email protected]

How do I add verizon email to my default email server for intermet explorer [ 1 Answers ]

On the tool bar if you go to Intenet Options and to Programs Under which service does windows use for each Internet service how do you add verizon to the email user?

View more questions Search