cmizel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
    integrate e^(-(x^2))dx
    integrate e^(-(x^2))dx
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

May 4, 2012, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmizel View Post
    integrate e^(-(x^2))dx
    There's no closed-form solution to the integral, though it can be written as an asymptotic series:

First, rewrite the integral into a form where you can do integration by parts:

Now we can use the integration by parts formulation

where

and

That gives you

Now you have a closed-form term, plus a new integral. If you employ integration by parts to solve the new integral, you'll get yet another closed-form term and another new integral (this time with higher powers of x). If you keep going, integrating by parts over and over and over, you build up a series of closed-form terms, and end up with an integral whose value is approaching zero. In the limit, as the number of iterations goes to infinity, you end up with:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to integrate Eclipse Portable with Java Portable? [ 0 Answers ]

I recently downloaded Eclipse and Java Portable from portableapps.com. I have been wondering if it is possible to instruct Eclipse to refer to my portable Java when coding. I heard that the open source document editor Open Office is also capable of using Java from a thumb drive. How do I...

How to integrate WebBrowser tool in my download manager? [ 0 Answers ]

This is, perhaps a challenging question but still.. I have made a download manager. What should I have to do with the WebBrowser tool in Visual Studio 2010 so that when I click a download link, the downloading starts with my download manager not with the default Internet Explorer one? I don't...

How can I integrate cos(x)^n where n is real? [ 6 Answers ]

How can I analytically integrate cos(x)^n where n is real, but n > 1? I know the answer when n is an integer, but the method doesn't seems to apply to real numbers. Cheers

Integrate the following [ 3 Answers ]

Last term, in my diff eq class during an exam and my professor made a mistake on one of the problems :rolleyes:. Anyway, the problem he gave us was pretty difficult to integrate. Integrate with respect to x: e^x/x Substitution and by parts didn't seem to work. The closest I got was to...

The necessity to integrate Sales and Marketing. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, greetings. Well, much information is available ditinguishing Sales and Marketing. Everyone who is acquainted with Marketing would know the Sales is a part of Marketing. There're numerous definitions available of both the concepts. I'm specifically looking for the answer of this...

View more questions Search