Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drakon Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Cannot open "display" in my control panel.
    Hi' I have always been able to figure out how to fix my problems and now I have one I can't seem to fix without reinstalling windows xp. I cannot open my display in the control panel or even in my command prompt. It doesn't give me an error message or anything it just doesn't open. I need some help... if anyone knows what to do without reinstalling windows let me know please... thanks...
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 23, 2007, 10:28 AM
    What happens when you right click anywhere on the desktop and select properties?

Feb 23, 2007, 10:30 AM
    It doesn't do anything! My mouse looks like it's loading and nothing happens. The mouse just goes back to normal.
    BossMan

Feb 23, 2007, 10:36 AM
    In that casehaveyou tried a system restore to before this started happening ?

Feb 23, 2007, 10:38 AM
    No I didn't!

I really don't want to reinstall windows.
    BossMan

Feb 23, 2007, 10:46 AM
    In that case try it.
    Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore and follow the Wizard.

Feb 23, 2007, 10:56 AM
    OK. I did and display still won't open.

Is there any way to get into my display manually through anything other than the command prompt?

In your opinion do you think I should transfer my files over to my 360g hard drive and
    Re-install windows on my 160g hard drive? Because that's the only thing I can think of.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 11:32 AM
    I wonder if a corrupted installation of video drivers can do this. Nvidia and ATI are fond of having their own 'control consoles', maybe that played havock with the Windows Display. Maybe try uninstalling drivers and install known stable drivers?

Feb 23, 2007, 11:37 AM
    How?

Feb 23, 2007, 11:43 AM
    How would I uninstall then install stable drivers and how can I get them??

Feb 23, 2007, 02:55 PM
    It's OK I fixed it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 04:05 PM
    How did you do it?

Feb 24, 2007, 07:45 AM
    OK I fixed my problem.
    mr man Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 11:24 PM
    Ummmmmmmmmm same thing happens to me except my screen also flickers and its annoying.

Grrrr:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer is on, But Monitor display "No signal" [ 5 Answers ]

I am running on Window 2000 Professional OS, When I not touch the computer for 10 or 20 minutes(the time is not fixed), the monitor goes off and display "no signal". Then I cannot do anything except turn the computer off by press the computer power button. When I turn on the computer again,...

Furnace "burner limit circuit open", How to fix? [ 2 Answers ]

The furnace in my vacant rental property does not light. The blower runs but the igniter never glows and the gas valve does not open. The LED blinks once which means the burner limit circuit is open. How do I replace the burner limit circuit? Inside the furnace cover I found the electronic...

Windows & Firefox: Right Click "Open With" Option [ 5 Answers ]

Been mostly using FF this year but some sites don't play well - and some impossible. I've got shortcuts to these sites on my desktop. I'd really love to "designate" them as IE shortcuts so that they'll open with IE if I click on them. ... but if this is not possible, I'd like to at least...

Background Display stuck in "Stretch" [ 6 Answers ]

My WindowsXP Background will not display in Center or Tile modes. The screen is white. I read that .htm documents are displayed in this way (Stretch only) but don't know what I did so that all images only display in Stretch mode. System Restore is no help.

Can not open "Display" item on Control Panel HELP ! [ 2 Answers ]

When trying to open the "display" applet inside Control Panel I get a message stating that the system administrator has disabled the miniapp "video" on control panel. I am the administrator om my Windows XP computer and did not do this. Can anyone help me plesae ? Thanks : Mauro

View more questions Search