Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kadella Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 09:31 AM
    Will front teeth that have cavities affect her adult teeth underneath?
    My daughter is going to be 5 in a couple months and she has had some pretty extensive dental work... she's had bad enamel on her teeth and has been told she will have to have 1 tooth extracted and 2 others need a root canal and 2 crowns ontop. Now they are telling us she has a cavity in between her front teeth and we have the option of fixing them or pulling them. I know they are her teeth and we should do everything to take care of them, but being that they are her baby teeth would you ever recommend leaving them and letting these fall out on their own considering they will fall out in the next year or so?
    My only concern is if the cavity is through the roots affecting her adult teeth.
    What are your thoughts on this?

Thank You
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 30, 2012, 10:00 AM
    I would get them fixed. She needs her baby teeth for chewing/biting, for speech, and for a good appearance. And, as you said, you don't want decay in her baby teeth to affect her developing permanent teeth and/or cause any physical illness.

My older son had bad enamel on his baby teeth, so ended up with some major dental work (in the hospital) and a mouthful of chrome (silver) crowns. The other students in primary school thought he looked cool, like a super villain. His permanent teeth later came in healthy and straight, and his speech is good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Front teeth [ 2 Answers ]

My sons 4 front teeth were pulled out when he was 18months old. He is now 7. His adult front teeth have not grown in yet. Is there a problem with that or is it normal?

Are the Teeth of Some People More Prone to Getting Cavities Due to Heredity? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, All! It seems that there has been a history with blood relatives in my family of having bad teeth. Me included. I've tried to take care of mine with regular maintenance and proper diet. Not perfect in those regards, though... Some people just seem to have perfect teeth without doing...

Lower denture teeth bite: gum line up or angle teeth forward? [ 8 Answers ]

:cool: Should the bite line of the teeth on the lower denture be forward of the centerline of the gum 5 mm? Would it be better to have the lower teeth in line with the gum?

Phlegmon under front teeth? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear forum, My doctor/dentist tentatively diagnosed me with phlegmon, after I went into the hospital with a fever of 105. My tongue and gums were swelling and there were two huge skin flaps that'd formed under my tongue. After ex-raying and CT scanning my head, they found a big shadow under...

View more questions Search