Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dpritchett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Credit Card Charge Off
    :eek: I had a credit card with a limit of $750.00. I got divorced and had no way to repay the debt at the time. The date last reported was in 2005. I haven't heard anything from this company until now, and they say that I owe over $3000.00. A debt collector is calling me and threatening to garnish 25% of my wages. Can they do this? I have been reading where these debt collectors buy debts for little or no money and then try to collect on them.

What should I do?

Dana
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 5, 2007, 08:38 AM
    They could garnish your wages, but they would have to sue first... take you to court... and win. This takes some time... debt collectors lie. Don't believe a thing they say on the phone... tell them you want stuff in writing... how much do you owe now? What are all the extra BS fees? Any deals you agree on are to be in writing first... do not give them access to your accounts, don't send them post dated checks. They will clean your account out and you cant' do a thing cause you do owe the money

Threatened By Collectors?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit co's have how long to post a charge? [ 1 Answers ]

We had a service provided 50% up front and remaining at completion. The initial 50% was charged and paid for. 0 balance on the card. Once the job was completed we signed the additional forms to have the remaining balance charged to the card. To date, 10 months have gone by and the charge has never...

Credit Card Judgment following Charge-Off [ 0 Answers ]

If a credit company has "Charged-Off" a balance as reflected on a credit bureau report, Does this imply that they will not be seeking a judgment? Will I receive WRITTEN documentation in the event a judgment is filed? It is my understanding that under Texas law a credit card company cannot...

Credit card charge back for breach of contract [ 2 Answers ]

I am disputing charges made on my credit card for services that a consultant promised to provide but did not provide (breach of contract)... a "charge back" was requested by me, and made to the vendor from mastercard. Documentaion was sent by the vendor, and a counter response, and evidence was...

Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a credit card company offer to take a settlement of $4,700 on a debt of $29,000?

I Need Credit Card [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Credit Card To Purchase Some Books

View more questions Search