Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carolynrm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Keeping pipe line clog free
    What is the best way to keep the drainage pipes clog free. What type of a maintenance routine should I follow? Thanks for your in put.crm
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2007, 09:58 PM
    A better question may be, 'what causes a line to back up?' a good system is sized to allow the pipes to be small enough to scour it and large enough to handle it all. Excessive grease will cause a plaque like build up. Using a disposer puts a lot of roughage down the drain and many times the water is not run enough to flush it completely out of the system. If a system has the correct fall on it and is sized well it could go maintanance free.
    I have had customers that routinely have the drains cleaned out and it gives them peace of mind. If you wish to fret over your system or if you have had problems you may decide to service it once a year. If so, I advise 2 weeks before thanksgiving. Because of the amount of cooking at thanksgiving and christmas many drains clog on those days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What type of pipe for buried water line? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I had a pipe break recently in the water line running to a workshop behind my house. The existing pipe is galvanized that was buried and eventually rusted through. I want to abandon the pipe completely and run a new line. I am on a budget so... What about the white plastic pipe? What...

Loud Bangs Coming from PVC waste pipe and Hot Water Copper Line [ 6 Answers ]

A year ago I had a crack and leak in our PVC waste pipe just behind our family room wall close to the first story floor. The plumber opened up the drywall and cut out the cracked portion (2 feet) which exended from just behind the family room wall down to the basement and replaced it with a new...

Connecting PVC Line to Cast Iron pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I am adding a second bathroom to an older 1-1/2 story house. I had planned to tie into the existing waste line. The existing toilet is on the first floor and discharges directly into a vertical cast iron pipe which appears to be 6 inches in diameter. This vertical pipe connects in the crawl space...

Vent pipe clog! Help [ 3 Answers ]

Well first of all the vent pipe is clog with something, toilet don't flush the washer drain gurgles, shower does not drain right either, think because of the vent problem, how do I clear my vent out, The house was like this when I bought it, and they told me that the vent is probably clog with...

Can frozen drain pipe be clog? [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks for being an expert. All the fixtures in my ground-floor bathroom addition refuse to drain. The water runs (not frozen pipes), and the plumbing in the rest of the house is fine. Before it stopped draining there was a few days of water sputtering up the shower drain and/or the sink drain...

View more questions Search