Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 10:37 PM
    CPS help please
    I've got a major dilemma going on and I, for once, don't know how to handle it. Hoping some of you could shed some light. Here goes, hope it makes sense.

Two little kids have been in and out of CPS for all of their short lives. Girl is 8, boy is 10. They've been positive for marijuana, coke, meth, etc. Not because they are actively using it, but when they were younger mom was breast feeding. My friend, I'll call her Natasha, is a nurse who works with me and her husband works at the jail. They are the aunt and uncle to these children and are stand up citizens.

Natasha and her husband had legal custody of these children 3 times in their lives, the longest being an entire year. Recently their mother was in a drug/alcohol related car accident and died. Their father was in jail at the time. This time it was for driving without a license and not a drug related charge. Well, the judge let Dad out of jail to take care of these kids rather than passing them off to a more stable relative.

This all happened a week ago this past Thursday. Now Dad is having parties at his house, meth parties, morphine parties, etc. Their electricity is about to be turned off. Well, to go on, Natasha and several other members of the family have called CPS, but they will do nothing at this point. Their words to Natasha were... "So what is your concern?"

My mother-in-law used to teach 4th grade but now is retired an volunteers her time as a CASA. Natasha and I have followed her instructions step-by-step to have these children removed from the home, but CPS doesn't seem to have the time.

I just don't know what else to do at this point. If any of you can help that would be great, if you can't, that's great too, just support our efforts in getting these children to safety.
    screamlk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2012, 10:57 PM
    You need to keep going up the ladder.you need to report
    These activities to your state attorney general,next is the dept of justice public intregrity unity
    Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 10:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by screamlk View Post
    You need to keep going up the ladder.you need to report
    these activities to your state attorney general,next is the dept of justice public intregrity unity
    Justice of public integrity unity? What is that?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 11:11 PM
    Is there a Catholic Charities or Lutheran Social Service office in the area? I'd look for a social worker or counselor with one of them or through a hospital or even one working independently. You want to find someone who deals with kids at risk, someone who will work his or her butt off for these kids, an advocate for these kids. That's the role I played for someone when the extended family was ignored by CPS. That advocate will know what to say to CPS and how to play their "game" and know the system in order to get those kids into a safe place.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 30, 2012, 03:21 AM
    I would start with the AG's office. If you don't get some immediate response from them, I would search your local paper for stories about CPS abuse, find the reporter that did the stories and contact him. Show them how a judge released someone from jail rather than give custody to the children's more stable relatives.

Another possibility is the children's school. See if the their teachers can report problems that will make CPS take notice.
    Expert

Apr 30, 2012, 04:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Another possibility is the children's school. See if the their teachers can report problems that will make CPS take notice.
    That's the move we are going to make today. Luckily I'm in close with the vice principal and she was at the mother's funeral service.

There is no Catholic or Lutheran Services here. This is a teeny tiny podunk little town where things like this are frequently overlooked because the workers are so overloaded. We are straight in the middle of the meth highway and CPS is so overworked. Hopefully the school will get something done.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 30, 2012, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    There is no Catholic or Lutheran Services here.
    I found a CC in Memphis. Aren't you near there? No social workers or counselors at all in the area?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 30, 2012, 12:59 PM
    J- check the other thread I answered it there for you. I didn't know you started one here. Let me know if I can help any further.
    Expert

Apr 30, 2012, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I found a CC in Memphis. Aren't you near there? No social workers or counselors at all in the area?
    I'm near there WG, but not close enough.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 30, 2012, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I'm near there WG, but not close enough.
    Most social workers or counselors will come to someone's home, if dealing with CPS is on their resume. In fact, at least one home visit would be required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens if the CPS gets a hold of you? [ 11 Answers ]

I am only 15 years old and I have some abuse going on at home from my step mom and I have told my school counselor about it and I was wondering what will it take for the CPS to come and get me because I want to be taken away from my family. I need help. I am pretty sure that my step mom abused me....

Texas CPS [ 1 Answers ]

Six weeks my brother and his girlfriend had their next to last permanency hearing. During that hearing, the judge ordered that I begin visitation with my niece. I had already begun visitation the previous weekend. I have a pretty open relationship with the foster mom and cps said that...

Cps vs family [ 5 Answers ]

My son was injured when he was a few weeks old. CPS got involved and took him. CPS is trying to find a family member to place him with. My girlfriend and I really have no say in the matter. If my girlfriend and I give up are rights would we still be able to place him w/ relatives in Colorado.

Should I call CPS? [ 20 Answers ]

I do have a question, when I saw my daughter today she had a pretty bad bruise on her temple right next to her eye, and a partial black eye. She said that her mom hit her with her elbow, I know that the child ask for me all the time. And her mother is not well mentally. Does anyone think that I...

View more questions Search