Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahtaamu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2012, 04:32 PM
    Deceased parent and unpaid child support
    My child's father, whom I was married to, has back child support owed. He passed away a couple of months ago. He owned a home and property in Washington State. What legal grounds does my son or I have to collect the back support or the property? My son is his only child.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 29, 2012, 04:35 PM
    If there was back support owed, you can place a claim against his estate to collect that support. If you son was his only offspring, he may be able to claim a share of the estate if there was no will. So you need to find out the status of the estate. Check with the local county Probate court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 05:29 PM
    The child may even have a claim to the estate, and for sure can file a claim for support against the estate. I would hire a probate attorney to investigate the estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support owed by deceased parent? [ 4 Answers ]

Am I entitled to land that was owned by my deceased father due to back child support

Child support owed by deceased parent [ 4 Answers ]

I am the custodial parent, my daughter is grown and her father just passed away in dec 2007. He owes back child support for several years, a little oevr 40,000.00, my daughter is grown and does not live with me any,ore and the father was having monies taken out of his check whenever the atty...

What is fla law regarding bio child of a now deceased parent if the child was legally [ 4 Answers ]

Child residing in fla was legally adopted by the spouse of his divorced mom--recently bio father died intestate is the child still entitled under 732.108 statute

Deceased parent - back support [ 1 Answers ]

I see many answers supporting the fact that back child support is due to the obligee/ custodial parent for their past expenses of raising the child(ren). But what if that parent has died? Not the NC, obligor, paying parent, but the one whom support is owed. What if the County CSEA has been...

View more questions Search