Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    axdwdrgc Posts: 86, Reputation: 3

Apr 29, 2012, 11:23 AM
    Did I break my ankle or did I just sprain my ankle?
    At my school we went on a field trip to clean up a giant nature park ( it's an small island) long story short I triped on a rock (super smooth I know) and I heard a little crack or a pop I could really tell but then my ankle got kind of swollen and it hurt to walk so I had to use one of my friends as a human crutch. I haven't gone to the doctor yet because I thought it would stop hurting by the next week but it didn't so I've been limping for the last week. I've been taking Aleve for the last week an icing it but the swelling won't go down. I've also been wrapping it with an ace bandage to immobilize it buy it only helps a little. If I touch the outside of my ankle where the fibula is it really hurts. The fibula itself has two lumps on it. It is kind of purple and at worst I have to use my crutches around the house. I'm wondering if I should go to the doctor or if I should just see if it gets better within a couple days. Also does it sound like it's broken or does it sound like a second degree sprain?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2012, 12:48 PM
    No one can diagnose a broken bone OR a sprain over the internet.

Yes, you need to see a Physician.

You are 12 years old. Where are your parents?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 12:52 PM
    From your description, I would have to say BROKEN and if you leave it any longer you are going to wind up with a leg that you don't want to look down at for the rest of your life. In fact, if it hurt that bad, after hearing a pop or crack, someone should have called an ambulance and you should not have put any pressure on it at all.

Get thee to a doctor, walk in clinic or emerg like two days ago.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 12:59 PM
    I'm with Judy on this... where are your parents and why haven't they done anything about this? You need a doctor and they should be making sure you get to one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 01:05 PM
    Agree why would parents not be rushing you to the doctor or ER center.

Yes please go to doctor

Apr 29, 2012, 05:10 PM
    I think my dad doesn't want me to go to the doctor because he doesn't want to pay another medical bill. Last year I tore my Achilles tendon and sprained my ankle so I was on crutches and in PT for 1.5 months then the year before I broke my toe and sprained my ankle and had to go to the doctor 6 times before they diagnosed it. I'm very clumsy.
    Entomology Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 05:26 PM
    It doesn't matter what he wants... you need this. If it is broken, it could wind up deformed or worse.

Your parents need to take you to a doctor. I'm not legal expert but I have to say that if your parents know you have this issue and aren't doing anything about it, myself... I would call that abuse.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 05:26 PM
    If it is broken, your dad is going to have to pay bigger medical bills in the event you need surgery to fix it. It's better to go now than to wait.

May 2, 2012, 05:50 PM
    Turns out I severely sprained it. I just have to wear a walking boot once the swelling goes down.
    cnr6189 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2012, 10:01 AM
    Honestly I have sprained my ankel over 30 times in the last 4 yrs and I won't to know how to break you probably have a server sprain
    Entomology Expert

May 17, 2012, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cnr6189 View Post
    you probly have a server sprain

Yeah, nice call since the OP already came back and posted this:

Quote Originally Posted by axdwdrgc View Post
    Turns out I severely sprained it. I just have to wear a walking boot once the swelling goes down.
    Oddly enough, she posted it right before your answer... go figure.

Jun 4, 2012, 08:09 PM
    I went to another doctor because the swelling wouldn't go down. Turns out I broke my fibula!
    Entomology Expert

Jun 5, 2012, 07:49 PM
    Thanks for the update. I hope all goes well for you now.
    BeckG Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2012, 07:53 PM
    At my school we went on a field trip to clean up a giant nature park ( it's an small island) long story short I triped on a rock (super smooth I know) and I heard a little crack or a pop I could really tell but then my ankle got kind of swollen and it hurt to walk so I had to use one of my friends as a human crutch. I haven't gone to the doctor yet because I thought it would stop hurting by the next week but it didn't so I've been limping for the last week. I've been taking Aleve for the last week an icing it but the swelling won't go down. I've also been wrapping it with an ace bandage to immobilize it buy it only helps a little. If I touch the outside of my ankle where the fibula is it really hurts. The fibula itself has two lumps on it. It is kind of purple and at worst I have to use my crutches around the house. I'm wondering if I should go to the doctor or if I should just see if it gets better within a couple days. Also does it sound like it's broken or does it sound like a second degree sprain?
    Pain is the best indicator that there is a problem, if it does not go away, then there is a problem. I would see a doctor for x-ray, this is no way medical advise, this is my common sense. I don't like pain myself, but it seems you have suffered to long.
    Entomology Expert

Jun 5, 2012, 07:55 PM
    Does anyone actually read threads before they post?

I went to another doctor because the swelling wouldn't go down. turns out I broke my fibula!
    BeckG Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2012, 08:06 PM
    Sorry, it did not show up in my view, just your original post... now I see them.
    Entomology Expert

Jun 5, 2012, 08:13 PM
    It happens. If you look back through the thread, you'll see that you're not the only one who did it.

Take care.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2012, 03:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckG View Post
    Pain is the best indicator that there is a problem, if it does not go away, then there is a problem. I would see a doctor for xray, this is no way medical advise, this is my common sense. I don't like pain myself, but it seems you have suffered to long.

Reading the thread before answering makes a difference in the responses.

It WAS a broken bone.
    harmonization Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2012, 08:13 PM
    I've never sprained mine, but I kind of want to know more about ankle sprains
    Entomology Expert

Jun 13, 2012, 08:16 PM
    Stop asking this same basic question in different threads.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do you sprain your ankle easily? [ 27 Answers ]

I am writing a story and I was wondering if there was a way to sprain your ankle easily. I've never sprained my ankle before and I need a simple, realistic way to sprain an ankle. My character is a teenage girl living in the 1800's.

Did I break my ankle or foot? [ 2 Answers ]

So I'm a cheerleader and spraining my ankle is nothing new to me. But at camp this week, I came down on it and I heard a loud crack and I fell to the ground. It felt like a normal sprain at the time, but that night I couldn't put any weight on it. Its been two days and I am able to limp around on...

Did I break my ankle? [ 9 Answers ]

Ok so I was walking across my in-laws farm and I stepped in a hole, my ankle bent and I heard a loud "POP" like when you crack you knuckles. I instantly fell to the ground. It hurt so bad!! I laid there for awhile, my husband came to my side and took off my shoe. After about 10mins I was able to...

View more questions Search