RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Here's a good link to start with:
    HOW TO WRITE A GOOD RESUME
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 06:45 AM
    First I would say it can depend on the type of position you are looking for.

First you have to decide what type you want, I use basically one that shows abilities and duties, not where I used to work.

But in a lot of my positions, they were looking for someone with "flare" with "sparkle" so I used paper that was not white, or if white very high quality expensive paper and had them printed and maybe embossed names.

Once I made them into booklets that was a presentation of my work and abilities.

Another time I used paper that was off size, I wanted my resure to catch their attention and I wanted them to know I was selling myself.

Next I always call before I send it, to let them know it is coming and I call afterwards to "check" if it is there.

And I use at least two follow up selling letters.

Now jobs that are looking for conservitie qualities may not work well like that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2007, 06:58 AM
    In the past it was important to try to make your resume standout, but not overly so. Now that can be a problem. Many employers now use resume tracking software. So they want clean, not heavily formatted, resumes that will scan well into these applications.

There is a load of books and web sites that offer advice on writing a resume. The resume you use depends heavily on the type of job you are seeking, your experience etc. I suggest you do some research.

On a side note: You originally posted this to an existing thread in the Forum Help forum. The first note in that thread containd a link on How to Ask a question. Obviously you didn't bother to read that as it talks about choosing an appropriate forum and asking detailed questions. Its always a good idea to at least scan the instructions before you do something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need resume help, please! [ 3 Answers ]

All right well this year I'm a senior, and I want to go to school for radiology. But the problem is... im not really sure on how to write a resume. And that's the only thing stopping me from starting my applications. I already have my letters of recommendation... but they need a resume and I don't...

Objectives on a resume [ 0 Answers ]

What should I put for a resume for an attraction that requires me to act so I can be a manager of it... Like I work at a theme park at an attraction right. I am required to act at work and make sure of things at my attraction. I want to be a manger at my attraction.:confused:

Resume Format [ 2 Answers ]

How do I format my resume to conform with the ASCII critieria ?:)

What not to include on a resume [ 0 Answers ]

Is it OK not to include on my resume a job that I had for 3 months which is not relevant to the position for which I'm applying? It was an entry level position that I took after my employer of 20 years went out of business. I took the job until I could find the job I really wanted because I...

View more questions Search