Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bodyboarder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2012, 01:13 PM
    Nightmare Probability Problem! HELP!
    Hi... I had to do a probability card trick for my statistics class and now I have to explain it :(

The trick is, I ask you to pick 2 cards, without naming the suit (hearts, spades, diamonds or clubs). That narrows down the different cards to 13 different cards (2 through 10, and King, Queen, and Jack). After you pick 2 cards (like 5 and 7, or Queen and 2), I spread out all 52 cards, and according to the website I got the trick from, there's about a 9 out of 10 chance that the two cards you chose will appear right next to each other somewhere in the deck of 52 cards.

Here is a link to the trick: http://www.goodtricks.net/super-card-trick.html

How do I explain the probability that the 2 out of 13 possible cards you chose, will appear right next to each other in a deck of 52 cards? I can't simply say what the website says, that 9 out of 10 times they will appear next to each other. I need to explain why it happens about 9 out of 10 times...

Someone please help because this is a nightmare and I need someone to help me end it :(

This may be a totally illogical answer, but this is what I came up with after hours and hours of stressful thinking (cuz I'm that dumb lol)... there are a total of 78 combinations of 2 taken out of 13 different cards. So, a spectator has 78 different ways of choosing 2 cards out of 13 different cards.

Since there are 4 groups of 13 in the deck of 52 cards, I multiplied 78 by 4 and got 312 combinations for the entire deck.

Then, there are 1,326 different combinations of 2 out of 52 different cards... divided by 4 is 332 per group of 13... I don't know, someone please help lol
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 1, 2012, 07:40 AM
    Have you actually tried this trick to see if it works 90% of the time? I don't think the web site is correct - I believe it overstates the probability that the deck will contain at least one occasion of the two named card values being next to each other. By my reckoning this will work only about 53% of the time, not 90%. Here's why:

Suppose the named cards are Ace and King. And let's assume that the A's are spread through the deck (no two A's are next to each other, and neither the first nor last card is an A). If you look through the deck for the A's each one has two card that are next to it. So there are a total of 8 cards that are next to all the A's, and if any one of those are a K you win. The probability of any of those 8 cards being a K is equal to one minus the probability that none of them are a King. The probability that none of the 8 cards is a King is:

44/48 x 43/47 x 42/46 x 41/45 x 40/44 x 39/43 x 38/42 x 37/41 = 0.47.

So the chance that at least one of the cards is a King is 1 - 0.47 = 0.53. This is no where near 90%.

Note that this calculation ignores the occasion where the A is either the first or last card in the deck - if you take that possibility into account the odds go down, as there are now only 7 (or perhaps only 6) cards that lie adjacent to the Aces. It also ignores the possibility that the deck may have two or more aces in a row - which again lowers the chance of a King being adjacent - or the possibility that the Ace's have only one card between them. So I conclude that the probability of two named cards being next to each other is actually a bit less than 53%.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

May 1, 2012, 10:48 AM
    I did a really quick simulation of this "trick" on a computer, where it's simple to do a large number of runs. After a trial of 1 million runs, the two cards ended up next to each other only 48.7% of the time, right in line with what ebaines said.

No wonder you had a difficult time figuring out the math to reach an answer of 90%!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finite Math Problem (probability trees) [ 6 Answers ]

A small seminar class consists of Anne, Bill, Cathy, Dan, Ellen, and Frank. The teacher has been told that 2 of them are from Indiana, 3 of them are from Michigan, and the other 1 is from Ohio. But the teacher does not know who is from which state. So the teacher decides to call on them one after...

Probability Problem (Poisson Process) [ 0 Answers ]

The owner of a food cart must balance the advantage of speeding up service so as to be able to serve more customers with the disadvantage of having to pay for that speedup. During the busy lunch period there is an average arrival rate of .5 customers per minute. Customers who arrive when there are...

Probability and Statistics homework problem - help? [ 3 Answers ]

Consider a random sample of 125 patients, some of whome have a medical condition and some of whome do not. Results of a new diagnostic tests for the condition are shown. Condition Present Condition Absent Row Total Test Result 103 ...

Probability problem? [ 3 Answers ]

In a bag there are 13 red candies, 13 green candies 13 yellow candies and 13 blue candies. If I pick 1 candy from the bag what is the probability that it will not be blue?

Aircraft probability problem [ 1 Answers ]

hello, I am doing this probability and got stuck with it. I am not sure where to start with, so if you think there is a way, please help me Do I need a combination here? A four-engined aircraft can fly safely on two engines; a three-engined aircraft can fly safely on one. On a particular...

View more questions Search