Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fustrated Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2007, 06:18 AM
    How to present these bond entries
    The problem is: On the first day of the current fiscal year, 2,000,000 of 10-year, 7% bonds, with interest payable annually, were sold for $2,125,000. Present entries to record the following transactions for the current fiscal year.

a.) Issuance of the bond

This is what I did is it correct?
    Cash 2,125,000
    Bonds Payable 2,000,000
    Premium on bonds payable 125,000

b.) First annual interest payment

This is what I did is it correct?
    Interest Expense 140,000
    Cash 140,000

c.)Amortization of bond premium for the year, using the straight-ling method of amortization.

I am not sure which numbers to use here but I know I have to multiply by a fraction, I think.

Can someone help.
    Thanks
    fustrated
    KongTheKonqueror Posts: 75, Reputation: 13

Feb 23, 2007, 04:52 PM
    The bond premium will be amortized over 10 years, so the annual amortization will be the bond premium (125,000) divided by the time frame (10 years) which equals $12,500 a year.

To record the amortization, debit premium for $12,500 and credit interest expense for $12,500. Since you are crediting an expense, you are reducing the expense which is needed so you can recognize the premium received over the life of the bond.

Everything else you did looks good.
    fustrated Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KongTheKonqueror
    The bond premium will be amortized over 10 years, so the annual amortization will be the bond premium (125,000) divided by the time frame (10 years) which equals $12,500 a year.

To record the amortization, debit premium for $12,500 and credit interest expense for $12,500. Since you are crediting an expense, you are reducing the expense which is needed so you can recognize the premium received over the life of the bond.

Everything else you did looks good.
    Thank you for your help.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

James Bond [ 3 Answers ]

Long before he debuted on screen as 007 in 1973's Live and Let Die, Roger Moore played James Bond in an appearance on this popular British TV comedy show. Name it.

Bond Pricing [ 2 Answers ]

You have just purchased a 12-year, $1,000 par value bond. The coupon rate on this bond is 11 percent annually, with interest being paid each 6 months. If you expect to earn a 12 percent simple rate of return on this bond, how much did you pay for it?

James bond [ 4 Answers ]

What are the various james bond actors.

View more questions Search