Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steelo101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2012, 02:03 AM
    When the USDA calculates calories in raw fish/meat is it frozen or thawed?
    In the USDA nutrition database (http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/) some foods like salmon, shrimp, meat and poultry are listed as raw and also cooked. When the calorie and nutrient content is measured in their lab for raw fish/meat/poultry is the product frozen or does the raw meat/fish/poultry mean that the calorie/ nutrient content was measures after it was thawed?

When calculating the calorie content of my food I am unsure to weigh it frozen or thaw it to get the most accurate nutritional info as listed in their database.

I apologize is this seems anal or OCD but I'm pretty strict with my calories.

Any info or clarification would be much appreciated.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 28, 2012, 04:26 AM
    There's a third one: fresh (never frozen).
    I don't know. I would write to them.
    Frozen might mean slightly heavier than thawed. Fresh might weigh the same as frozen. It would all depend on when they froze and how much liquid had been released, and if thawed, if they measured including the liquid or not.
    Given the variations in calories anyway from one piece to the next of the same species, I suspect that the state of fresh/frozen/thawed is below the charting of significance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2012, 04:27 AM
    Normally it is fresh ( not frozen or ever frozen) which would be closer to a thawed weight.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 28, 2012, 05:07 AM
    I disagree about thawed being closer to fresh. The juices freeze into crystals and leave the tissue. Ever compare a thawed turkey to a fresh one?
    When thawed, the higher amount of juices might be discarded by the testers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

German shepherd won't eat but, every once in awhile raw meat [ 11 Answers ]

I have a german shepherd and she won't eat and is limping but, will drink and all she wants to do is lay around. We just brought her in the house a week ago, she has been outside for a year now. What could be wrong with her PLEASE HELP?? She keeps licking her vaginal area and panting. What could be...

My dog ripped up a bag of spoiled raw meat and now she's gagging and throwing up? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a sittuation with my 3month old pit. She's gagging a lot and pukes everyonce in a momment. I've read the possibilities of worms, this could be it because my pup hanst been to the vet or had her shots. I try to keep her off the grass and not outside for too long,enough for a short...

Washing raw meat [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I know that you absolutely have to wash chicken. But when I watch chefs on TV, I've never seen them wash beef, fish and I don't think I've seen them wash pork (could be wrong there). Can someone kind of go down the line with different raw meats and let me know if they should all be washed...

Refreezing meat thawed at room temperature [ 4 Answers ]

While visiting my parents, they gave me a large frozen tube of ground beef. We were traveling by pickup truck, and I put the meat in the cab of the pickup. We drove for four hours, by night, with the outside temperature at 34 degrees. We got home and forgot about the meat in the cab of the...

My dog will not eat anything but any type of meat what can I feed her besides meat? [ 2 Answers ]

My dog,Sheba,will not eat anything but meat.I know why she won't but how do I get her to eat dog food again?Sheba is nine years old and she has some arthritis and I put an arthritis pill,that my veternarian gave me, in her dog food a couple weeks ago and now she won't eat her dog food because the...

View more questions Search