Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Apr 27, 2012, 05:22 AM
    Vpn
    Aaaarrrghhhhh!! (*&^&^%*(*!

That's better.

OK, I have managed to stumble across the answers to many of the problems associated with connecting to a work LAN from home and for the most part it works well.

I have 3 PCs at home: 1 running Windows 7 connects through a VPN, I am able to access the server and print to the office printer. All good.

The other two are running Windows XP and while I can create and connect to work with a VPN, I cannot access the server/printer or router... WHY??
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 27, 2012, 05:28 AM
    Try connecting by IP rather than name..
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Apr 27, 2012, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Try connecting by IP rather than name..
    Yeah that's what I do. I create the VPN using the wizard which asks for the IP address. This connects OK, so I am "in"? When I type the IP address of the router, server or printer I get a timeout.

I'm not sure I really understand why XP cannot connect. Is there a setting (that I have not found or realised exists!) within XP?

My brain (such as it is) thinks that if I can connect to the router with a VPN then surely that should be sufficient. Hmm. Will shout at computer when I get home. I've tried begging, pleading, promising to give it a good clean etc. but it just sits there refusing to print. I think it's laughing at me and my pitiful attempts. The computer knows the answer it's just not playing ball

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VPN Issues [ 1 Answers ]

My work computer is a inspiron 5100 with Win Xp on it I'm trying to hook up to my office's VPN with a linksys card. Getting Error 800: Unable to establish the VPN connection. The VPN server my be unreacable or security parameters may not be configured properly for this connection. Need help...

Vista over VPN [ 4 Answers ]

Scott, we tried with both Home Premium and Business. I have to use OpenVPN to get to my company's servers across the country and we couldn't map the network drives.

VPN connection [ 2 Answers ]

In my office I have VPN connection, our office branches are in London, Kuwait, South Africa, Switzerland and Germany, sometimes I need to access users Laptop and PCs to fix their problems Can you please help me how can I access users Laptop and Desktop thorough VPN. :confused:

Vpn [ 2 Answers ]

Cannot connect to VPN

View more questions Search