Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jack jackson Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

Feb 22, 2007, 10:43 PM
    Computers for beginners
    Why can I receive email but not be able to send, is this an isolated problem or permanent one+what tne heck is the mail daemon? Is my email possesed?
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 23, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Sending and receiving email normally uses two different servers. One is a POP3 server used for receiving. The other is a SMTP server used for sending.

What email client are you using? What OS are you running?

Normally if you can't send email, there should be a pop-up message, such as not logged in to the SMTP server. Are you receiving such a message?

SMTP server normally uses Port 25. Maybe this is blocked? Firewalled? etc.

Encryption might need to be turned on?

Your email client should allow you to configure all the above when setting up an email acount.
    ScoobyD Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 04:28 AM
    Is it like a sock monkey in the dryer that steels one of every pair of socks??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 24, 2007, 06:04 AM
    Internet E-mail uses two standards for the sending and receiving of mail (note: this doesn't apply to web based mail like Yahoo or Hotmail). Mail is received using POP3 servers and sent using SMTP servers. When you subscribe to an ISP, then give you the info on how to configure the Incoming (POP3) and Outgoing (SMTP) servers for your e-mail client. So, if you have a problem sending its generally due to an SMTP issue.

Mailer Daemon is a standard for e-mail protocols that deals with returned mail. Its an automated e-mail message that explains why your e-mail was not received properly.

For us to truly help you, you need to provide us with details like the e-mail client and service you are using, any error messages you get, the reason cited by the Mailer Daemon return etc.

Feb 24, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Reporting-MTA: dns;mail4.mssupport.microsoft.com
    Received-From-MTA: dns;ext-imc-01.partners.extranet.microsoft.com
    Arrival-Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 05:22:19 -0800

Original-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
    Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp;450 5.2.3 Msg Size greater than allowed by Remote
    Host

Using;yahoo mail not using;outlook express

Feb 24, 2007, 04:40 PM
    Comments on this postScoobyD disagrees: as a newcomer it felt a little advanced to me. Had I lnown a little more about computers the answer would just about been ideal

As you are a newcomer may I point out the guidelines on using the comments fetaure found here:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Whether you felt the answer was a little advanced is not the issue. The key is whether the answer was accurate or not, which I assure you it was. If the original asker felt they needed clarification they can ask for it and we would be happy to comply.

Feb 24, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jack jackson
    Reporting-MTA: dns;mail4.mssupport.microsoft.com
    Received-From-MTA: dns;ext-imc-01.partners.extranet.microsoft.com
    Arrival-Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 05:22:19 -0800

Original-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
    Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp;450 5.2.3 Msg Size greater than allowed by Remote
    Host

using;yahoo mail not using;outlook express
    OK, The problem is not really on your end. Its not that you are having a problem sending mail. The mail is being sent, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten the Mailer Daemon return. The problem is clearly spelled out in the message. Msg Size greater than allowed by Remote Host Either the e-mail you sent was too big or their mailbox is full and accepting your e-mail would exceed the limits on their mailbox.

Feb 25, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
    Addresses.
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
    Connected to 210.13.114.162 but connection died. (#4.4.2)
    I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too
    Long.

--- Below this This was the next message I received
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Scott gave you the answer: your email is too big in size for the receiving to accept. Perhaps you have a large attachement included with that email? Anyway waiting or retrying will not get you any further, you'll need to reduce the size of that email message.

Feb 25, 2007, 07:07 AM
    My contact from Microsoft, emailed me curious as to why he hasn't heard from me. When I knowngily have sent him several emails. Could the initial problem been coincidental or a separate problem prior to this?

Feb 25, 2007, 07:35 AM
    Again, if you are getting Mailer Daemon returns, the problem is NOT on your end. Mailer Daemon messages originate from your SMTP server based on feedback from the recipient's POP3 server. So your sending is fine. It could be you are using an incorrect address or some other problem on the recipient's end.

BTW, Wicresoft is not Microsoft but one of their solution providers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computers [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to do a scandisk on my PC. I am told that it is better if I put PC in safe mode first. How do I do that?

Computers [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if I can hookup one computer to an other computer and download files from one to another even if they are not the same make and how I can do it?

Computers [ 4 Answers ]

I connect to the web via broadband. Everything is OK for about 15mins then my browser disconnects. I have deleted and reloaded explorer but the fault remains. I have also downloaded avant browser - no difference. When the browser goes off line it does not effect other programmes such as messenger...

A beginners question [ 1 Answers ]

Would I be correct in assuming that you post the totals from the journals to the general ledgers at the end of each accounting cycle. For example if your accounting period was from the 20th of each month to the next.. you would add all your journal entries and post to ledgers then ?

View more questions Search