Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mommasluvs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 08:28 AM
    Garnish husband for my debt in NY
    I was having trouble and couln't pay a credit card. It went bad and someone eventually got a judge meant against me. I live in NY. I don't have a job and my husband works. They are asking me for my husbands information like SS where he works and so on. The credit card was in my name only. Do I have to give it to them? Can they garnish him for it? Can they stop his checking account or anything for it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2012, 08:48 AM
    You only have to provide the court with any information that is court ordered. You do not and should not provide any other information to them about anything, unless required by a court order.
    Mommasluvs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2012, 12:38 PM
    It was in a information Subpoena. It was mailed regular mail to me. Why would they be able to ask questions about him? You would think this kind of stuff would be sent certified mail or something.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2012, 05:09 PM
    You can respond to the Subpoena by stating your have no information regarding your husband due to he is not liable or a party to the proceeding in this case.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 29, 2012, 05:16 PM
    However, if they have a judgment against you they can attach any bank account you are listed as an owner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many times can a creditor garnish you for the same debt? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-husband added me to a CC without my knowledge and now they can't find him to pay. They took money from my checking acct, which he is not on. How many times can they go into my account for this money that I don't even owe?

Debt before marriage? Can they garnish my husbands wages? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I've got a judgement against me. Got paperwork to fill out financial form. I'm a homemaker so there for don't bring they money home. The debt is from 8 years ago, way before my husband was around. I'm reading all the answers you have given to others, but nobody has same answer. I'm willing to...

Which debt collector can garnish our taxes [ 2 Answers ]

How can we find out if when filing taxes it would be garnished. And what debt collectors can garnish our taxes.

Can Debt Collector Garnish Husband Wages For wife's Debt [ 3 Answers ]

Prior to even meeting my husband I inccured a credit card debt which I have since defaulted on. I just recently received a summons in response to this debt and am unable to pay the amount in full. Are they able to garnish my husbands check for a my debt as that I am a homemaker with no income?

How much of a debt must you rack up before a collector can garnish wages? [ 3 Answers ]

I was dumb enough to sign up for a 2 year contract at a tanning salon. It's a long story, but to make the long story short they are trying to say I owe 2 more months then i actually do. For health reasons i did not even tan but a year of the contract and paid the other year. I REFUSE to even pay...

View more questions Search