Ask
    sathishvanij Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 07:38 AM
    How do u define a planet
    How do u define a planet
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2012, 07:44 AM
    The definition has varied over the years.

In 2006, the International Astronomical Union issued their updated definition of a "planet":

"A planet is a body that orbits the Sun, is massive enough for its own gravity to make it round, and has "cleared its neighbourhood" of smaller objects around its orbit."

Source.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What planet is she from? [ 4 Answers ]

I watched a clip last night where Nancy Pelosi was ranting that the night raids, breaking in doors, separating families was going to have to STOP! She was referring to the new Arizona law, of course. It is really hard to stop that which is not happening, don't you think? Maybe that glazed...

Another Planet Just Like Ours? [ 10 Answers ]

All right well a few of my buddies were talking the other night, and one of them was saying that some how scientist have evidence that somewhere out in the universe there is another planet just like ours. That there's thinking beings who look, think and live just like us, just that there thousands...

What is a Planet? [ 10 Answers ]

What is a Planet? Debate Forces New Definition. I would very much like to resurrect the debate here. I was very disappointed with the demotion of PLUTO.

Planet X? [ 3 Answers ]

I've come across a site, www.zetatalk.com, which talks about the passage of a planet known as the 12th planet, and is referred to as "Planet X" in other places. What's the deal about it?

Is it a planet? [ 2 Answers ]

Right now(4:00AM) in Wyoming, in the north eastern part of the sky, just above the horizon there is a HUGE bright star that seems to pulsate(twinkle) When I first saw it I thought it was a UFO! It is very prominent in the sky. Does anyone know if this is a planet or just a very large star? Okay...

View more questions Search