Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glimpse Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Meaning of 111
    Does anyone know what 111 mean?
    I used to see it for months everywhere I looked.. I have to admit it felt nice:).. and now I don't see it anymore. I don't believe it was all a coincidence. Any ideas?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2007, 05:45 AM
    I suspect it has something to do with a promotion or promotional event. New nightclub? New CD or recording company? New café? New gallery? New fragrance?

I have not seen 111 anywhere, so I assume it is something new to your area and they were advertising.

Feb 23, 2007, 05:51 AM
    What I meant by seeing 111 was that when I look at the clock it's 1.11 I accidentally open page 111, my look stops upon a price 111... and such accident looks all the time.
    By the time that happened I was working in a foreign country for a couple of months..
    I looked it up on the internet.. some people believe it means that an angle is with them guarding them... I saw some other possible meanings as well.. but no one can tell for sure...
    I was wondering may be someone has a certain view..
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 05:53 AM
    3 in Roman numerals?

Feb 23, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Well I can't answer that.. like I said.. the page number for example is in the normal numbers we use.. how often do you get the occasion to see something written in roman letters? I gues you could say its like the roman 3 in the way the 1s are alined... 111
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 06:00 AM
    111 is the smallest integer requiring 6 (in AE) or 7 (in BrE) syllables to speak.

It is a perfect totient number.

The smallest magic square using the numbers 1 and prime numbers, has a magic constant of 111.

111 is the atomic number of the element roentgenium (Rg)

111 is the emergency telephone number in New Zealand.

Swissair Flight 111 crashed into the Atlantic Ocean on September 2nd, 1998, killing all 229 of it's passengers.

Edit: 3 in roman numerals is iii, not 111 :) - if you have an analogue watch with roman numerals, then you see it quite often..
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Glimpse, I love Capuchin's explanation.

I would have said we have a tendency to remember or connect with logical sequences or patterns more than the random ones. Meaning that if I looked at my clock and it was 2:53 p.m. that wouldn't stick in my mind the way 1:11 does. So, the next time I saw 253 in a book or on a price tag, I wouldn't remember that I saw it on the clock. I wouldn't make any connection because it is random in it's appearance.

However, with 111, I would remember it because when one sees that on a clock most of us has the same reaction, we stop doing what we are doing and say something to the effect of, "wow, how strange is this? I looked at the clock and all the numbers were the same". And, the next time it pops up, I would remember it because I made myself consciously aware of it. Does that make sense?
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 07:00 AM
    It's also the 25th Lucky Number

Ruby, I totally agree, that is the explanation I give in most paranormal/coincidence discussions we have here :)

The human brain is amazingly adept at finding patterns where there is none. (the night sky is almost perfectly random, yet look how many constellations we have recognised!)

Feb 23, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    Glimpse, I love Capuchin's explanation.

I would have said we have a tendency to remember or connect with logical sequences or patterns more than the random ones. Meaning that if I looked at my clock and it was 2:53 p.m. that wouldn't stick in my mind the way 1:11 does. So, the next time I saw 253 in a book or on a price tag, I wouldn't remember that I saw it on the clock. I wouldn't make any connection because it is random in it's appearance.

However, with 111, I would remember it because when one sees that on a clock most of us has the same reaction, we stop doing what we are doing and say something to the effect of, "wow, how strange is this? I looked at the clock and all the numbers were the same". And, the next time it pops up, I would remember it because I made myself consciously aware of it. Does that make sense?
    it makes perfect sense.. but it still doesn't explain why it started happening at a certain moment whereas I have had occasions seeing 333 111 and such numbers on the clock before but just once in a while just like any other 258 or 396.. it started happening in a certain moment, and quite often, and it stopped happening in a certain moment.. its not like I wanted to stop seeing it;) so it would be strange if it was just my brain...

and Capuchin,
    Swissair Flight 111 crashed into the Atlantic Ocean on September 2nd, 1998, killing all 229 of it's passengers.
    reminds me of Final destination;)

Nice ideas, thanks, and still.. it's not like I am desperate to find a meaning of it all.. but I am sure there is one, because I believe our world is created with a perfect pattern which can be perfectly well explained with numbers we just still don't know how.. I was curious about it..
    I did put meaning into it in a way that it did make me feel protected somehow:) whatever the reason was whether a sign or my mind I am sure it was for a reason and I am grateful for the experience...
    A lot of people believe coincidence just happens out of nowhere.. I do not agree though. And just because you do not know the exact reason, it doesn't mean there isn't one..
    may be someone else can give another meaning or sense to it..
    or maybe I know it deep inside.. or may be there is no need to.. fate is a strange thing..
    thanks anyway.. :)
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 12:38 PM
    It's wishful thinking, and it's good for you :)

Feb 23, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Btw, NeedKarma, what is it if it were roman numbers?
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 12:58 PM
    He was just spurthign out random facts, like I did :)

Feb 23, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Capuchin, you don't have a lot of faith in things out of the ordinary do you?:)
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Sure I do, I just have faith that there is a reason for it :)

Out of the ordinary is ordinary.
    faithl Posts: 22, Reputation: 9

Feb 28, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Glimpse
    does anyone know what 111 mean?
    I used to see it for months everywhere i looked.. i have to admit it felt nice:).. and now i don't see it anymore. I don't believe it was all a coincidence. Any ideas?
    This is very interesting - in the UK recently a magazine called 'Kindred Spirit' did an article on what the called the' Phenomenon of 111' - they said that people were seeing the number everywhere, and just like you, every time they looked at the clock it was 11 past 11, without fail, and every time they looked anywhere this number seemed to pop up.

Maybe you could try Googling it, perhaps look under 'numerology' first, which uses numbers as magic..
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 01:37 AM
    Maybe because 11:11 is midmorning, when everyone is wondering "is it lunchtime soon?"

For instance.

"is it lunchtime soon?" *look at clock* time is 10:56 - not notable
    "is it lunchtime soon?" *look at clock* time is 11:03 - not notable
    "is it lunchtime soon?" *look at clock* time is 11:11 - WOW ALL THE NUMBER ARE THE SAME I WILL REMEMBER THAT I LOOKED AT THE CLOCK AND IT SAID 11:11!!
    "is it lunchtime soon?" *look at clock* time is 11:23 - not notable

Do you see my point? There's nothing significant about it because you're looking at the clock every few minutes. You just remember it because it's a pattern that our brain picks up on. I'm sure if you recorded every single number you see throughout the day you will see that there is a perfect distribution that is explainable. But your brain chooses to remember the times where you see 111 because that's a number that stands out because the digits are all the same.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 04:04 AM
    I was curious too, regarding lll and googled it. There is a wealth of information in Google, one just has to be patient and search, which is all the fun. There is a website regarding that sequence of numbers below:

11:11 O'Clock Explained - what is it all about?
    Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 04:06 AM
    Sorry, cut and pasted the wrong line, this is the website below

11:11 O'Clock Explained - what is it all about?
    Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 04:08 AM
    1111spiritguardians.com

I got it right this time, sorry folks ! That was really spooky!!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 05:16 AM
    That web site made me laugh actually. I'll go with Capuchin's theory.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone know what is the meaning of... [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know the meaning of "Jannum" Is is good... :D... or bad :o??

Other meaning of a name [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any other meaning for the name 'Harrison' other than son of harry?

Song meaning [ 1 Answers ]

This is a song by I Am Ghost called "Our Friend Lazarus Sleeps". It comes from their new album Lovers Requiem. The album has a love story behind it. Basically she dies and goes to heaven to become an angel. He is a vampire so when he dies he goes to hell. There is this huge battle between good and...

Redington 111 ceiling fans [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, We have at our facility a number of redington 111 ceiling fans in our dining room. When we switch the lights on some of them come on some do not, also when we switch the fans around for summer/winter some of them work some do not. Right now we have switched the lights on and onw does not...

Word meaning [ 3 Answers ]

What is the difference in usage between eldest and oldest?

View more questions Search