Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Startingover01 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2012, 03:31 PM
    Need advice regarding leaving the state I filed for divorce in with my kids
    I moved out of the state where I filed for divorce/primary custody 4 years ago. My ex had full knowledge of the move and did not object or attempt to get custody (he puts very little effort into seeing them, and has gone several weeks without calling to talk to them). He has messed up child support payments 4 times now, blaming it on a "bank's mistake".

I have been more than reasonable about it, considering the first time he paid us $250 less and I just dealt with the repercussions, and the last time we were 1 day away from being evicted. These "mistakes" have cost me hundreds in late fees & have damaged my credit. It is getting to the point where the kids are endangered – we were almost evicted, and have had our power and heat turned off a few times because we were late due to this problem! I have had to feed 4 people for a week on $15 at times.

This time I mentioned that we would probably have to get the courts involved to fix the "bank's mistake" (strange how his bills seem to mysteriously get paid), he threatened that if I notify the court, then I would get into trouble for leaving the state without letting them know (we had an amicable divorce that barely went through the courts - we didn't even hire lawyers throughout the process).

I asked him on the 19th to check with his bank, knowing that in the past, if the funds were more than 4 days late, there was a screwup and that he would need to hash it out with his bank. I asked him at least twice a day every day since then to check on it, and he just told me that he already had, and that the bank told him that the funds were in the process of being transferred. Obviously he didn't check into it that carefully. Again, this is at least the 4th time this has happened over the past year, so it isn't just an accidental mix-up. If he had the money in his account to pay us, it should still be there. But apparently his bills were paid, which took up all of the funds in his bank account. Which means that he didn't have the funds designated to pay both child support and his bills. Not acceptable.

Since we have been established here for several years with his knowledge and acquiescence if not his approval, can I safely contact Friend of the Court for help? He has also been in jail 2-3 times for 5 DUI's, had to wear an ankle monitoring system for a year, and has recently gotten permission to drive as long he breathes into a breathalyzer machine every time he starts his car. I am pretty sure that the court will take all of this into consideration if he tries to contest anything.

I want the courts to take the funds out of his paycheck as soon as it hits his bank account, or to intervene with the bank if it truly is their mistake. But I want to be sure that it will not cause even more difficulty for us.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 25, 2012, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Startingover01 View Post
    I moved out of the state where I filed for divorce/primary custody 4 years ago. My ex had full knowledge of the move and did not object or attempt to get custody (he puts very little effort into seeing them, and has gone several weeks without calling to talk to them). He has messed up child support payments 4 times now, blaming it on a "bank's mistake".

I have been more than reasonable about it, considering the first time he paid us $250 less and I just dealt with the repercussions, and the last time we were 1 day away from being evicted. These "mistakes" have cost me hundreds in late fees & have damaged my credit. It is getting to the point where the kids are endangered – we were almost evicted, and have had our power and heat turned off a few times because we were late due to this problem! I have had to feed 4 people for a week on $15 at times.

This time I mentioned that we would probably have to get the courts involved to fix the "bank's mistake" (strange how his bills seem to mysteriously get paid), he threatened that if I notify the court, then I would get into trouble for leaving the state without letting them know (we had an amicable divorce that barely went through the courts - we didn't even hire lawyers throughout the process).

I asked him on the 19th to check with his bank, knowing that in the past, if the funds were more than 4 days late, there was a screwup and that he would need to hash it out with his bank. I asked him at least twice a day every day since then to check on it, and he just told me that he already had, and that the bank told him that the funds were in the process of being transferred. Obviously he didn't check into it that carefully. Again, this is at least the 4th time this has happened over the past year, so it isn't just an accidental mix-up. If he had the money in his account to pay us, it should still be there. But apparently his bills were paid, which took up all of the funds in his bank account. Which means that he didn't have the funds designated to pay both child support and his bills. Not acceptable.

Since we have been established here for several years with his knowledge and acquiescence if not his approval, can I safely contact Friend of the Court for help? He has also been in jail 2-3 times for 5 DUI's, had to wear an ankle monitoring system for a year, and has recently gotten permission to drive as long he breathes into a breathalyzer machine every time he starts his car. I am pretty sure that the court will take all of this into consideration if he tries to contest anything.

I want the courts to take the funds out of his paycheck as soon as it hits his bank account, or to intervene with the bank if it truly is their mistake. But I want to be sure that it will not cause even more difficulty for us.
    Did the divorce take place in the state you had moved to or the state you had moved from? If he still lives in the state where the divorce occurred then that is the state that has to deal with it. Contact the state and they can create a garnishment order. It will come directly from his check.

Apr 25, 2012, 06:25 PM
    The one I moved from, it's only a 3-5 hour drive (depending on if the kids are with me and how much they have had to drink! Lol). And yes, he still lives there. A lawyer friend of my family just told them that the court may frown upon my not informing them of the move and punish me somehow, but I really think that it is worth the risk at this point. I suggested to him today that he should sell off some stuff around the house to get some cash, and he is basically poo-pooing the idea. Lord knows I have had to sell off everything I owned that is worth much, except for the computer and my furniture!

So irritating...

Apr 25, 2012, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseGirl15 View Post
    You should get ya money. Go to court. Press charges for him not paying you. His bills get paid right, so I think he is being unfair when he has children to take care of. Crazy fathers. Maybe you should do some extra work for money. Like a second or third job. God bless you. I am going to pray for you.
    Thanks :) I'm working on it! I have a third job interview tomorrow, so here's hoping! It just makes me so angry - if he had the money in his account to pay both his bills AND me like he claims, then there should still be enough money to cover child support in his account! He is either deceitful or delusional - and clearly does not know how to do basic math! Why on earth did I marry him?

At least I got my kids out of it... I wouldn't trade them for the world!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 3, 2012, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseGirl15 View Post
    You should get ya money. Go to court. Press charges for him not paying you. His bills get paid right, so I think he is being unfair when he has children to take care of. Crazy fathers. Maybe you should do some extra work for money. Like a second or third job. God bless you. I am going to pray for you.

This advice is the reason 12-year old children shouldn't be posting on the legal boards.

Press charges?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaving the state with my son, no divorce or legal papers filed. [ 3 Answers ]

Good evening..... I am faced with a dire situation. I am married with a small son. I cannot stay any longer, he is extremely mentally and emotionally abusive to myself and now my son. I am from WI and we both moved to VT 5 years ago. Our son was born here in VT. I know no one here and all my...

Leaving state with kids [ 1 Answers ]

My wife wants to leave the state of Tx and go to her sisters in Tennessee where I won't be able to see my kids if I don't agree to what she is asking money wise. Once she leaves will the law make her come back. I know I can file paper work to prevent her from leaving , that's why she is wanting to...

Leaving the state again with kids [ 3 Answers ]

I was married and was able to get permision from the court to leave the state with my 3 kids from my first marriage.my ex husband signed and let me go. I came back due to personal problems with my now husband and we worked things out and would like to move back out of state again,my ex- owes me...

Leaving the state after a divorce [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania with my husband for over a year. I now want a divorce. We have two children and I would like to go back home to NC where I have my family support. I don't have anybody in Pennsylvania except my husband and his family. I have a large family back in NC and would have a lot...

View more questions Search