Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vapper Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 05:59 PM
    dvd drives won't work.
    please help I am going insane. I just upgraded my motherboard processor to an amd 3800 on a elitegroup motherboard. I am running xppro sp2 up to date. I have a sapphire 1650 pro vid card and 1gb memery. My power supply is 420 watts. When ever I tried to burn a dvd my computer would just turn off. Now the computer won't even recognize the dvd drives anymore. Sorry my drives are a pioneer dvr-710 and a toshiba dvd-r. my ribbon cable is tight and plugged in right. My power plugs are good. My drivers and firm ware are both up to date. When I go to device manager I get an exclimation mark next to my drives. I try to refresh drivers and won't work. When I troubleshoot it says that my drive may be unplugged. They are not. I am running 7 cooling fans internal. I've checked the bios and only the pioneer drive appears. My jumpers in the drives are correct checked 1000x. Anyone have any ideas please help?
    iman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Try your burner on different computer to see if the problem is because of burner or your computer
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Feb 23, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Disconnect the pure reader and try burning.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 23, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Good job on the thorough trouble-shooting.

One check that you may have missed is ensuring the IDE ribbon cable is plugged in the right way. Pin 1 with the red stripe (or colored strip) should be towards the power connector.

Assuming you have both drives on the same ribbon cable. Disconnect the slave drive first. If bios does not recognize the master, then disconnect it, change the slave drive to master and connect it to the first IDE connector of the ribbon cable, then check bios. Swap it again. What are you results?
    vapper Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Hello and thank you all who tried to help. The problem was 2 fold. First I had to go to the regedit and delet the upper and lower fields. That fixed the first problem. The reg got messed up when I removed nero I guess. Second the ide cable I used was only 40 wire and I needed 80 wire. That's it works great now. Hope this helps someone in the future that has the same prob. Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disc Drives won't Read Media [ 1 Answers ]

I think my computer has caught some strange disease. It is extremely sluggish and I cannot log on to my DSL internet, even though two computers hooked up by USB wireless adapters in the next bed rooms have no problem accesing the net. Therefore, I decided to backup all my data files and start...

It won't work [ 2 Answers ]

My mp3 player uses napster and you hook it up and when I try to download it says no device detected Whys that

Husband won't work [ 8 Answers ]

My husband won't work right now either. He used to make a good salary. He has decided he is going to be a real estate agent. He has been one for 10 months and has contributed 4,000.00 to our expenses this year. We have financial responsibilities like two mortgages, cars, insurance, etc. and I have...

Problem Reading CD DVD drives [ 7 Answers ]

HELP! I have a problem, it maybe a Nero premium 7 related problem, but when I uninstall it it doesn't fix it. I have a cd drive, a dvd drive, and two virtual cd drives set up on my computer, but yesterday my computer would not recognise them. I checked for answers already, most said hard ware...

XP refuses to read my CD/DVD drives [ 4 Answers ]

Whenever I put in a CD into my DVD drive, it won't autoplay. I have 2 drives, DVD and CDRW, and both suffer from the same problem. The only way to get autoplay working is by leaving the CD in the drives and restarting the computer. The other way is to continually pop the cd drive in and out...

View more questions Search