Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aditya999 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 08:45 PM
    Green card holder returning permanently to India
    I wish to relocate to India permanently next month. I am a green card holder. Can I pay taxes for income earned in 2012 before leaving? Will I get W-2 from my company and 1099 from financial institutions before leaving or do I need to wait till Jan 2013? Also, since I don't plan to return to USA, do I need to report my income in India to IRS? Can I receive social security benefits before leaving or do I need to wait till I turn 62? Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 25, 2012, 06:44 AM
    The W-2 and 1099-INT will be issued in January 2013, and no sooner. If you worked under a W-2, taxes were already withheld from your salary.

You will need to file a tax return in 2013 from India, but that should not be too hard given access to the Internet.

If you want my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address and websites there if you cannot see it on this page.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 25, 2012, 12:12 PM
    As for the Social Security benefits, the earliest you can apply for benefits is when you turn 62.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 25, 2012, 12:13 PM
    Even if you relocate to India, you must file U.S. tax return every year. If you are self employed in India, you must also pay Self employment tax.
    For 2012 tax return, you must report U.S. income as well as income earned in India till Dec 31, 2012.
    Also if you do not intend to return to U.S. why do you need green card. You may surrender this. If you have green card, you can not leave U.S. for a long period.

Apr 25, 2012, 09:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    The W-2 and 1099-INT will be issued in January 2013, and no sooner. If you worked under a W-2, taxes were already withheld from your salary.

You will need to file a tax return in 2013 from India, but that should not be too hard given access to the Internet.

If you want my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address and websites there if you cannot see it on this page.
    Thank you ! Since I'll be closing the bank accounts and resigning from job, I wasn't sure if my company and banks would agree to either email me or mail me the W2 and 1099 to my address in India. Once I have that info, I should be able to contact you to file it online. Do you know if they will send it to India or do I need to open a P.O box here before leaving and ask a friend to check it?

Apr 25, 2012, 09:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    As for the Social Security benefits, the earliest you can apply for benefits is when you turn 62.
    Thanks ! Does that mean social security number remains active even after green card gets canceled or expires due to extended stay outside USA and I am no longer a US resident? When I turn 62, I just use my SSN and contact a US consulate to get the benefits? I was hoping I could get the benefits before leaving.

Apr 25, 2012, 10:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    Even if you relocate to India, you must file U.S. tax return every year. If you are self employed in India, you must also pay Self employment tax.
    For 2012 tax return, you must report U.S. income as well as income earned in India till Dec 31, 2012.
    Also if you do not intend to return to U.S., why do you need green card. You may surrender this. If you have green card, you can not leave U.S. for a long period.
    Thanks ! Since green card expires after 1 yr outside US and I'm not a citizen, do I have to pay taxes after 1 yr? If so, is it because SSN remains active even though I'm not a resident anymore? Do you suggest canceling SSN before leaving?
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 26, 2012, 06:54 AM
    The SSN remains active, even after you cancel the green card.

Once the green card is formally surrendered, no tax return is required.
    Unhappy Sally Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2012, 06:27 PM
    My understanding based on reviewing the requirements of forfeiting your green card is that you are likely to fall under the US Exit Tax. The Exit Tax is equivalent to paying death duties on your worldwide assets if you meet ANY ONE of a number of criteria. If you are a green card holder and have been residing in the US for more than 7 years you qualify.

This tax is substantial and depending on the type of assets you have may result in you having to stay in the US particularly if you are at retirement age. You can find a very good explanation of it at "renunciationguide.com", see Guidance for Expatriates Under Section 877A on the "irs.gov" site.

My personal feeling is that anyone coming to the US and intending to take up a Green card or stay in excess of 7 years but intending to return to their original country should have this information explained up front.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 25, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Sally:

That MAY be true (I have not researched it), but I do know that the OP has has to have SUBSTANTIAL assets to be subject to such taxes. Based on what was posted, I doubt if he meets the threshold.

Jul 13, 2012, 08:02 PM
    I got my green card 2 years ago. If I surrender green card within next 6 years, do I still have to worry about any tax reporting (including exit tax) to IRS after that?
    Thank you in advance !

Quote Originally Posted by Unhappy Sally View Post
    My understanding based on reviewing the requirements of forfeiting your green card is that you are likely to fall under the US Exit Tax. The Exit Tax is equivalent to paying death duties on your worldwide assets if you meet ANY ONE of a number of criteria. If you are a greencard holder and have been residing in the US for more than 7 years you qualify.

This tax is substantial and depending on the type of assets you have may result in you having to stay in the US particularly if you are at retirement age. You can find a very good explanation of it at "renunciationguide.com", see Guidance for Expatriates Under Section 877A on the "irs.gov" site.

My personal feeling is that anyone coming to the US and intending to take up a Green card or stay in excess of 7 years but intending to return to their original country should have this information explained up front.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 13, 2012, 08:24 PM
    Probably not, no!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Payment of tax in India and USA by green card holder/Double tax Treaty. [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is a USA citizen. I can get a Green card as Parent (aged 79 yrs). I will not have any USA income. Will have Indian income (interest etc. Taxable in India ) How will this affect USA tax requirements. Do I have to pay tax on my Indian income in USA? Please reply. NARAIN

Igot married to green card holder girl how could I get a green card? [ 3 Answers ]

I got married to green card holder girl of usa, how could I get a green card?

GREEN CARD HOLDER returning to USA after 6 months and leaving again. [ 1 Answers ]

I know that a green card holder can stay (without problems) 6 months out of USA. But after returning to USA, HOW LONG minimum should one stay and leave again without having problems?

Is H1 married to Green Card Holder elligible to apply for Green Card? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on my H1B visa in USA since Jan 2006.I got married to a Permanent resident in US while I am on my h1B. 1) I would like to know if I could start my green card processing through my husband? 2) How long can I stay on my H1B and when should I get my extension of H1B? Thanks Much!...

View more questions Search