Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 01:15 PM
    Rusty pipes...
    Just curious about how serious this can be? I have to run the water at least 15 seconds when I wake up in the morning (or anytime there has been a substantial amount of time from the last time I ran the water) to get to clear water. Is this something I need to worry about health wise?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 24, 2012, 01:25 PM
    I have to run the water at least 15 seconds when I wake up in the morning (or anytime there has been a substantial amount of time from the last time I ran the water) to get to clear water.
    What does the water look like> Dirty? Rusty? Other?
    How old is your home and what material are the water pipes? Pump or city water? Back to you, Tom
    Movie Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 01:55 PM
    The water color looks rusty/yellowish, it's not goopy or chunky or anything like that. When I run the water into the bathroom sink (white), I can see the rusty/yellowish color of the water against the sink. It clears after a bit. The house was built in 1955 - not quite sure about the pipe material. It is city water (actually glacier fed lake/river water cleaned at our water treatment plant... don't know if you need to know that... )

Forgot to add - when I run water into a glass from the kitchen sink,(without letting it run clear) I can hold it to the light and see that it has that same yellowish color...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 24, 2012, 02:22 PM
    The house was built in 1955 - not quite sure about the pipe material.
    My house was built the same year. I can tell you what's happening but you're not going to like the solution. We have galvanized iron water pipes that have built up rust over the years. The water sits in your pipes collecting iron oxide and other minerals, ( sulfur. Calcium carbonate,ect) When you make a draw the minerals will flush out after you run the water and it's clear. The solution would be to repipe the house in plastic. And I'll bet that when you take a shower and someone flushes the toilet the cold water drops to nothing. OUCH! PS. I repiped my house last year. Good luck, Tom
    Movie Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 02:46 PM
    Wonderful - it's a good thing I'm made of money. Thanks for your insight!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My pipes are burping and spitting out rusty water after the plumber was here. [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a really old house and last year I had a plumber come out because water backed up out of all my drains. Happened again this year, but after the plumber came out with that big machine, took my toilet off and did his thing again, I now have a problem where the water will start to run and...

Rusty pipes [ 1 Answers ]

When the water main must be turned off for any reason, various pipes in the bathrooms clog up with debris. The aerators have to be cleaned, and sometimes the water supply lines to commode tanks have to be replaced. I want to find a way to solve this problem permanently, so that things don't clog...

Rusty fittings [ 4 Answers ]

How do you prevent rust on the outside of steel and iron fittings?. both on the shelf and once installed? Would it make sense to coat them with mineral oil? Is there some other trick? Thanks in advance, Paul in East Troy WI

View more questions Search