Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2012, 02:29 PM
    Medicaid, college grants, insurance settlement
    This is my best guess at a category - no problem if it has to be moved.

First, we are all taxpayers and so... here's the situation which I came across through work - and I don't know the answer.

Female with child is on Medicaid and food stamps, free college tuition and grant/living money by virtue of being a single parent. She settles an auto accident for over $25,000, buys a car - cash (title is in her name, also registration), continues to collect Medicaid, food stamps, college tuition and grant/living money.

(This vehicle replaces one which is about 18 years old. No problems that I know of - but it's 18 years old.)

I know little about college grants... but I find this difficult to believe. I find the Medicaid/food stamps angle even more difficult to believe with the little info I have on those subjects.

I've seen the paperwork and this situation is correct.

This is some great Country! To think I worked and paid my own tuition!

I feel judgmental. On the other hand, I feel my taxes are being abused.

Any thoughts?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2012, 03:09 PM
    A person may own a car and own certain properly even a certain amount of money in the bank and collect welfare and the such, Grants were given by the info when they were approved for that grant. Any change is suppose to be reported, so if they did not report the new car or money to medicare, that could be a violation, but chances of being caught are slim.
    klarsenartwork Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

Jul 25, 2012, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    This is my best guess at a category - no problem if it has to be moved.

First, we are all taxpayers and so ... here's the situation which I came across through work - and I don't know the answer.

Female with child is on Medicaid and food stamps, free college tuition and grant/living money by virtue of being a single parent. She settles an auto accident for over $25,000, buys a car - cash (title is in her name, also registration), continues to collect Medicaid, food stamps, college tuition and grant/living money.

(This vehicle replaces one which is about 18 years old. No problems that I know of - but it's 18 years old.)

I know little about college grants ... but I find this difficult to believe. I find the Medicaid/food stamps angle even more difficult to believe with the little info I have on those subjects.

I've seen the paperwork and this situation is correct.

This is some great Country! To think I worked and paid my own tuition!

I feel judgmental. On the other hand, I feel my taxes are being abused.

Any thoughts?
    The amount of money being afforded to this woman is based on NEED. Perhaps she is escaping an abusive relationship. There are funds out there that help those in a situation you know nothing about. I would feel blessed about being able to pay your own tuition.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2012, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by klarsenartwork View Post
    The amount of money being afforded to this woman is based on NEED. Perhaps she is escaping an abusive relationship. There are funds out there that help those in a situation you know nothing about. I would feel blessed about being able to pay your own tuition.

No, she's not escaping an abusive relationship. I realize you work that into every thread.

She's banked a $25,000 settlement and meanwhile accepts public benefits which she would not get if she filed for benefits honestly.

Please explain to us the "funds out there" that help people who have $25,000 in the bank and collect Medicaid benefits.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2012, 05:26 PM
    [QUOTE=JudyKayTee;3210237]No, she's not escaping an abusive relationship. I realize you work that into every thread.

She's banked a $25,000 settlement and meanwhile accepts public benefits which she would not get if she filed for benefits honestly.

Please explain to us the "funds out there" that help people who have $25,000 in the bank and collect Medicaid benefits. I do realize people apply for and collect SS (and other disability benefits) when they are not totally (and permanently) disabled. Are those the "funds" you are talking about?

I realize you came from wealth (where did I see that?) and probably that's how you managed to get your Home Health Care Aide degree. I worked my way through College. No blessings, just hard work.

But thank you for looking up this very old thread and re-opening it. Maybe some new people are on AMHD and will have something meaningful to contribute.

I do realize that so many people take out grants, are awarded grants, default, file for disability, walk away on loans, that people who are truly in need are having difficulty getting financing.

That is not the case here.

I also don't understand how getting away from an abusive relationship would entitle someone (particularly in this economy) to collect "State benefits" with $25,000 in the bank.

I also work in the legal profession. I know which circumstances are important when I ask a question and which are not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life insurance and medicaid [ 2 Answers ]

If the owner and the insured are not the same person can medicaid take the cash value of an insurance policy if the insured goes into a nursing home?

Grants for college [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for any advise from someone that could please tell me what grants can I apply for as being an ex-felon trying to go to college for accounting. I did over 11 years in prison for drugs, and I'm walking a line, but being a CDL driver is not what I want in 20 years. I am sincere, and I...

Insurance settlement [ 3 Answers ]

Is the money you receive from an insurance settlement taxable?

View more questions Search