Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shopaholic Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Feb 22, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Am I addicted?
    Hi
    I'm 20 years old and currently at university... but my friends keep telling me that I drink too much.. even for a student?
    I go out 6 days of the week for the past month or so and I do admit I drink till I'm past drunk and spend all my money... including my rent money on alcohol.
    I somethimes think maybe I do... and I tell myself to stay in tonight... but then I end up buying a bottle of vodka and drinking about half and going out with what ever mates are out that night and drinking even more.
    I don't know whether I just like going out... or it's the fact I can drink if if I do go out? But I'm feel worried as my brothers are drug addicts and that I might have the same addictive personality and could become addicted to alcohol.
    I have woke up feeling sick from the drinking 3 times this week and my uni work is suffering, and I've woke up with the shakes too, and I have had to stop myself drinking the bottle of vodka and going out agen (and I know I probably would if my house mates weren't home and I could get hold of some money).
    Any way if anyone can tell me whether I'm just being stupid and its normal for some one my age and in uni to drink exessively for a bit, or whether I need to get help?

Thanks for your time
    :confused:
    98u9ui9 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shopaholic
    hi
    im 20 years old and currently at university... but my friends keep telling me that i drink too much.. even for a student?
    i go out 6 days of the week for the past month or so and i do admit i drink till im past drunk and spend all my money... including my rent money on alcohol.
    i somethimes think maybe i do...and i tell myself to stay in tonight... but then i end up buying a bottle of vodka and drinking about half and going out with what ever mates are out that night and drinking even more.
    i dont know whether i just like going out... or its the fact i can drink if if i do go out? but im feel worried as my brothers are drug addicts and that i might have the same addictive personality and could become addicted to alcohol.
    i have woke up feeling sick from the drinking 3 times this week and my uni work is suffering, and iv woke up with the shakes too, and i have had to stop myself drinking the bottle of vodka and going out agen (and i know i probably would if my house mates wern't home and i could get hold of some money).
    any way if anyone can tell me whether im just being stupid and its normal for some one my age and in uni to drink exessively for a bit, or whether i need to get help?

thanks for your time
    Dude,u need 2 get help my moms had the same problem and if u don't get help u could get a lot worst
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Feb 22, 2007, 03:12 PM
    I used to drink to excess when I was at uni (50p a shot vodka at the uni bars yay!) and I think in my first year I had maybe 10 sober nights in total. I think it is something students do, I don't drink at all anymore. However, you need to calm the spending down, you need to pay your rent or you will end up homeless, and do your work, that is what you are there for (lol) and how would you feel if you didn't pass your degree? If after all that you still need to drink all the time (especially if not going out) then I would speak to your dr.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Feb 22, 2007, 03:30 PM
    A lot of us drank too much in college. I spent a good three years as an alcoholic during my time in school.

You do have a problem. Any time you have to wonder whether you have a problem with a substance, you have a problem. Any time you have to come up with reasons you don't have a problem, you have a problem. The fact that you're spending money you don't have (rent money, and the implied stealing from roommates) isn't even needed to figure out that you have a problem, but that would tell us that you do on its own.

You need to stop the drinking. Completely. Whether you need help doing that depends completely on you. I was able to get clean without support groups, but I did have the support of my friends (including my roommate, who was cutting back at the same time I was). Try to stop drinking on your own. If you can't, get help.
    mag oblivious Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Jul 2, 2007, 12:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shopaholic
    hi
    im 20 years old and currently at university... but my friends keep telling me that i drink too much.. even for a student?
    i go out 6 days of the week for the past month or so and i do admit i drink till im past drunk and spend all my money... including my rent money on alcohol.
    i somethimes think maybe i do...and i tell myself to stay in tonight... but then i end up buying a bottle of vodka and drinking about half and going out with what ever mates are out that night and drinking even more.
    i dont know whether i just like going out... or its the fact i can drink if if i do go out? but im feel worried as my brothers are drug addicts and that i might have the same addictive personality and could become addicted to alcohol.
    i have woke up feeling sick from the drinking 3 times this week and my uni work is suffering, and iv woke up with the shakes too, and i have had to stop myself drinking the bottle of vodka and going out agen (and i know i probably would if my house mates wern't home and i could get hold of some money).
    any way if anyone can tell me whether im just being stupid and its normal for some one my age and in uni to drink exessively for a bit, or whether i need to get help?

thanks for your time
    It's normal for kids in college or university to have their " party time". Most of us did when we were youunger. However, if you want any kind of future for yourself, stop drinking. Besides the fact that it kills your liver. Get your priorities in order.
    hennigar72 Posts: 12, Reputation: 5

Jul 2, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Hi there. Just want to say that I think that some people here are taking the situation a little too lightly here. From what I read you are heading to a really scary place. I am an addict in recovery and the pain that addiction brings to people is no laughing matter. I help some young people who are struggling with addiction. To alcohol and to drugs. Being young doesn't make it okay. Actually, a friend of mine from way, way back just had a very serious health scare. When we were teenagers we did a lot of drinking and partying (and I mean a LOT). All of our friends,except me and him, did grow out of it and now have normal healthy lives. Me and him couldn't. And thinking back to our highschool/college days me and him never knew when to call it a night. Anyway, last year this friend of mine was given a 15% chance to live. He has completely destroyed his liver, thank God he survived and is now clean and sober. I would take a long serious look at your drinking. Already it is causing problems in your live. I suggest you check out AA or NA. If nothing else it introduces you to people who know how to go out and have fun without drinking or drugging. Good luck.
    DevilsAdvocate Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 06:42 PM
    If you have to ask, you are addicted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Friend is Addicted.. Needs Help [ 9 Answers ]

My friend is addicted to gasoline huffing.. he often haluctinates and does inhales from gas can almost eveyday. He has admitted he needs help but does not want to ask his parents. Is there anyway to help him get over this without asking from adult?

Videogame addicted [ 12 Answers ]

I love videogames. I play constantly. But my math grade is really low, my mom took away my ps2, now I have to raise my math grade to get it back. HELP!

Addicted to oxycotin [ 5 Answers ]

I Need To Know About Withdrawals From Oxycotin And How To Come Off Fo Them And Side Effects Please Help Me I Want To Come Off Them With Out All The Withdrawals I Have Been Taking Them For Two Years Because I Have Health Issues And My Doctor Is Wanting To Take My Off Them Cold Turkey And Iam Scared...

My Friend is Addicted.. Needs Help [ 9 Answers ]

My friend is addicted to gasoline huffing.. he often haluctinates and does inhales from gas can almost eveyday. He has admitted he needs help but does not want to ask his parents. Is there anyway to help him get over this without asking from adult?

Addicted [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am so addicted to women, I mean like naked and bikini girls and stuff but I feel if I show it to people I know and stuff it will embarrass me (sorry about the spelling) What do I do?

View more questions Search