Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    userrtl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2012, 09:16 AM
    Kombucha and ETG
    I am currently on random ETG tests and I am curious as to if kombucha will make me fail an ETG. I really like to brew my own and it helps with joint swelling, however I worried I will fail the test if I drink any.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2012, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by userrtl View Post
    I am currently on random ETG tests and I am curious as to if kombucha will make me fail an ETG. I really like to brew my own and it helps with joint swelling, however I worried I will fail the test if I drink any.
    From what I've read about Kombucha some products have been pulled from the market due to alcohol content in excess of 0.5%. The alcohol isn't additive but rather results from in vitro fermentation post-production. That is a natural occurrence in the presence of yeast and sugars. Some of these proprietary products can range up to 3% alcohol. Media example

There are two factors that could create alcohol (EtOH) in the process you describe in brewing your own. The first is fermentation in the container and the second is fermentation in your intestines (in vivo) after consumption or a combination of the two. If EtOH is present then EtG/EtS will result. It's simply a matter of how much of each.

Addressing the in vivo fermentation. This phenomenon is well documented. The presence of yeast and sugars in your diet can lead to production of EtOH within your body. This occurs primarily in the intestinal tract where exposed to various microbes (Auto-brewery syndrome).

Another weakness of EtG testing, acknowledged in professional journals but not otherwise publicized. (see Skipper)

In specific reference to EtG and EtS a 2010 study found that abstinent volunteers consuming sugar and baker's yeast orally produced elevated EtG/EtS levels above the cutoff of 100 ng. (see Thierauf)

Ref.

Thierauf, et al, 2010

Skipper

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DrBill100 - EtG really so overhyped? Now baffled: lab says 3 drinks=20-24hrs. EtG? [ 7 Answers ]

Dr.Bill, I have been researching both the validity and dangers of false positives and negatives of this test as it is used for criminal, employment, and child custody reasons. In addition to the variant cut-offs, incidental exposures, etc. I am flabbergasted by the amount of conflicting info out...

Does the saliva swab ETG alcohol test show back to 80 hours like the Urine ETG test ? [ 2 Answers ]

I heard when it's the oral swab it only tests back 12 to 24 hours for alcohol anyone know?

EtG [ 11 Answers ]

How long will alcohol stay in your urin

EtG ua [ 5 Answers ]

How to pass a EtG UA

View more questions Search