Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lorrieh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2012, 07:33 AM
    OH-how to avoid paying the taxes for the house I purchased for my son
    I purchased a home 2 years ago for my son's family. They want to sell it now and use the sale money for his next home. The house should sell for about 42K. I bought it for 14K. I only want the purchase price back so as not to have to pay taxes for money made on the sale and for them to use the excess for their next purchase. Can I just make a note stating that they must pay me the 14K for a loan I made to them (in ecense, I am like a mortgage company to them) rather than actually putting the house in their name (ie. Quit claim).
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 22, 2012, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lorrieh View Post
    I purchased a home 2 years ago for my son's family. They want to sell it now and use the sale money for his next home. The house should sell for about 42K. I bought it for 14K. I only want the purchase price back so as not to have to pay taxes for money made on the sale and for them to use the excess for their next purchase. Can I just make a note stating that they must pay me the 14K for a loan I made to them (in ecense, I am like a mortgage company to them) rather than actually putting the house in their name (ie. quit claim).
    If the house is sold while it's in your name, I think that you will have to pay capital gains tax on the $10K profit. But if, before it is sold, you convey the property to them, and they give you a $14K note secured by a mortgage, it would probaby be a wash, income-tax wise. And, as I recall, the extra $10K would be within the annual exclusion amount for gift tax purposes.

But run this by a tax professional to be sure.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
    If the house is in your name when sold, then it the gain on the sale is your taxable income. However, you could just have your son reimburse you.

To avoid the taxes, you can use AK's suggestion. The note for 14K will become a lien on the property. At the closing you get a check for the $14K.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does all this "paying the back taxes on a house" work? Am I able to get a house [ 1 Answers ]

How does all this "paying the back taxes on a house" work? Am I able to get a house by just doing that?

How to avoid paying NC state taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I am moving to TX and will be living there 5 days/wk and 2 days/wk in NC with my family where we own a home. I plan to open a bank account, register to vote, register my car and get a DL in TX. I'm renting an apartment. This is a permanent assignment. My wife does not work. Can I avoid paying NC...

What is the best way to transfer a house within the family to avoid additional taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

My aunt who is dying wants to give her house to her family. What is the best scenario to do to avoid paying any additional taxes?

Cashing Savings Bonds to put in estate account to avoid paying taxes. [ 1 Answers ]

I have Series EE Gov. Savings Bonds in both of my deceased parents names. I am the only child and executor of their estate. Can I cash the ponds and deposit the money into estate account to avoid paying income tax, then later withdraw? I live in NJ and do not know the tax law on this subject can...

Ashing Savings Bonds to put in estate account to avoid paying taxes. [ 1 Answers ]

I have Series EE Gov. Savings Bonds in both of my deceased parents names. I am the only child and executor of their estate. Can I cash the bonds and deposit the money into estate account to avoid paying income tax, then later withdraw? I live in NJ and do not know the tax law on this subject can...

View more questions Search