Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jujulopez Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2012, 12:21 AM
    Can moisture build behind tiles even though there is a concrete board underneath?
    I purchase a newly build (brand new home) less than a year after we moved in and use our master bedroom shower for less than a year an inspector came to do an inspection, he used the moisture reader they normally used and found very high levels of moisture behind 11 shower tiles. I contacted the warranty company and the builder to report the deficiency as any problems are covered/fixed within the first year. The builder is telling me there is nothing to worry about it as there is a concreate board under the tiles and he says there is no problem there. The inspectors (2 different ones) who both read high levels of moistures say the tiles must be removed and fix the area behind them. Can you please tell me what is the right thing to do? I have been told by several people in the trade that if the moisture behind the tiles is not fixed it will eventually build mold, mildew and expand throughout in other areas.

Check out some similar questions!

What type of board underneath tiled shower? [ 2 Answers ]

I am renovating a basement bathroom and plan to tile the shower/tub walls. We inherited the house with the bathroom unfinished. Where the tub is the walls are regular dry wall. I assume I have to rip this out and either put in cement board or water proof foam board. What works best as the base for...

Moisture up through floor tiles in conversatory? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Our conservatory is now about 8 years old. Originally it was built without footings and after problems with slight subsidance and arguing with the glazing company, they actually returned and put in footings. Now 3 years on we have suddenly started getting condensation-like moisture appearing...

Moisture between vapor barrier and new aqua board [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had my tub surround redone do to a leaking shower pull assembly, about 6 weeks ago we noticed cracking and holes in grout lines and moisture coming out under the tub, we opened up a kitchen wall behind the new tile and there is moisture between the vapor barrier and the backside of the...

Seal floor against moisture, asbestos tiles and prep [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 43 year old home in unincorporated King Co. Washington state. The two-car garage was transformed into a family room years before I bought the house. There is a moisture problem with the concrete floor that I think is generating mold. Before I install any permanent flooring, I need to...

Mold underneath shower tiles [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I rent an apt. in a 100-year-old house. The shower tiles fall out weekly, and we stick them back in with grout; however, the many cracks and crumbling grout have let water into the wall behind the bathtub fixtures. There is an overwhelming mold smell in the bathroom, and as I am...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.