Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smashley3636 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2012, 08:19 PM
    Is this theft by deception?
    I was at an auction and purchased many old pepsi crates for $6 each. Before leaving I asked the clerk if I could purchase one last coca-cola crate with bottles in it and pointed at the crate. She asked how much I had paid for the other crates and I told her $6, so she said okay. When I got home she called me cussing telling me that crate was worth more with the bottles (even though she had seen it) and told me she would file theft by deception charges on me. I was very nice explaining it was a misunderstanding while she kept cussing me the entire time. Could she really file the theft by deception on this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2012, 11:44 AM
    Could she try? Yes. Would she be successful? I don't know - depends on the dollar amount difference.
    smashley3636 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 12:15 PM
    I was very nice about it and took the crate back and it turns out they were wanting $25 dollars for it. I am by no means poor, and I don't see $19 being that large of a difference. I would have paid the difference but decided not to because she was so unprofessional.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2012, 12:21 PM
    Doubt they could have, you told them which one, if they told you the wrong price that is their fault, if I shop there a lot I may have taken it back, or again if I shop there a lot I may have went in and expalined the facts of business to them. If they under sell it to you, it is their loss.

If you had showed them one case and took the other case that is the theft.
    tampajunkman Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jun 25, 2012, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smashley3636 View Post
    I was at an auction and purchased many old pepsi crates for $6 each. Before leaving I asked the clerk if I could purchase one last coca-cola crate with bottles in it and pointed at the crate. she asked how much I had paid for the other crates and I told her $6, so she said okay. When I got home she called me cussing telling me that crate was worth more with the bottles (even though she had seen it) and told me she would file theft by deception charges on me. I was very nice explaining it was a misunderstanding while she kept cussing me the entire time. Could she really file the theft by deception on this?
    No way any law enforcement is going to file charges in that case..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this theft by deception? [ 4 Answers ]

My sister had me to put money from our mom's death in her bank account and she gambled it away this was in 2007 we live in Louisville Ky.

Theft by deception [ 4 Answers ]

I had a business,I had several ontracts and deposits,but do to several reasons I was unable to do the work.now two years have passed and I got a call from a detective tha he was about to file criminal charges,is he able to still file charges sine its been two years/

16 year old charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery what will [ 2 Answers ]

I was charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery for finding a debit card and buying 3 items in Bridgewater Commons Mall New Jersey that I believe came up to $300 I used credit and had to sigh the receipt I didn't use my name but the name on the card. I was brought to the police...

Theft by deception [ 3 Answers ]

I used to work for a office and money was very tight.. the bottom line is that I stole about $2000. But my boss added all these fees and the final amount is $3274.00 I tried to explain to the judge on my hearing that I didn't take all that money that they were accusing me for. But she didn't...

View more questions Search