Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dereck Hicks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2012, 06:06 PM
    Wine shelf life
    Chateauneuf du Pape ? I think it's 1975.
    setexenv Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Apr 23, 2012, 06:03 AM
    Dereck, 37 years is an awful long time to store any wine and expect it to be good. First, it has to be a wine that lends itself to aging for a long time. Obviously, some wines do lend themselves for even longer periods of storage and aging. Most wines aren't. Most wines will be past their prime after 37 years. Second, Wine has to be stored properly during the storage period. This means storage at proper temperature (not room temperature, but much cooler) during the storage period and it should be protected from temperature swings, unusual vibration, and light. Also, it should be stored on it's side to keep the cork moist and tight against the neck of the bottle preventing air from entering the bottle. Having said all that, you could still open the wine and aerate it for a while and try it. If it reminds you of vinegar after an hour of aeration, that's because it probably is vinegar now. If I recall correctly, it is recommended to replace corks after 30 years. Also, you may have trouble removing the cork after 37 years. It may break up. If you have a local restaurant that actually has trained sommeliers on their staff, you might ask them to open and evaluate the wine for you on your next visit to the restaurant. Paying their standard corkage fee for enjoying this wine if it good enough to drink would be appropriate or a tip for opening, decanting, and aerating the wine would also be customary and reasonable. Check with the restaurant head waiter/sommelier to find out what their policies are.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 23, 2012, 06:30 AM
    The most important thing here is the producer.
    That being said, as 75 was NOT a good vintage it is most likely way beyond it's best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shelf life of a red reserve wine? [ 1 Answers ]

Please anyone help me about the shelf life of a reserve wine. If the reserve wine is from the year 2004 or 2005, is it still good enough to buy a few boteels and consume the sme ina years time?

Shelf life of closed bottle of wine [ 2 Answers ]

What is the shelf life of red wine?

Shelf life of wine [ 1 Answers ]

What would be the shelf life of a 1999 Cabernet sauvignon?

Safety of drinking wine that have been on the shelf for several years [ 5 Answers ]

What is the average shelf life of various wines, Zinfandel, Merlot, Lambrusco

Red wine shelf life? [ 6 Answers ]

What's a safe estimate for storing unopened red wine if you don't have a wine cellor or cooler? I just keep it in a cool and dark place, but don't want to risk it turning. How long do I have? Janie

View more questions Search