Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Sep 6, 2012, 03:37 PM
    Has anyone here witnessed the fall of the Berlin Wall in person? I would have loved to have been there. Just watching it on YouTube is very moving so I can't even imagine what a great experience it was to actually be there, especially for East Germans.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 6, 2012, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    Has anyone here witnessed the fall of the Berlin Wall in person? I would have loved to have been there. Just watching it on youtube is very moving so I can't even imagine what a great experience it was to actually be there, especially for East Germans.
    I wasn't there, but I am German. Not East German, but I do have friends in East Germany. One of those friends was a pen pal. I found her request for a pen pal in a German magazine my parents used to order. I contacted her, and for many years we wrote to each other. Her father had fled East Germany to find work in the West. She, her mother and her sister, were left behind. When I first wrote to her she was 10 years old, I was a year younger. She hadn't seen her father in 5 years.

When the wall came down she wrote to me. She, her mother, and her sister, were finally allowed to cross and be with her father.

I had the pleasure of meeting her once, when my parents and I went to Germany. That experience alone was amazing. :)
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Sep 7, 2012, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I wasn't there, but I am German. Not East German, but I do have friends in East Germany. One of those friends was a pen pal. I found her request for a pen pal in a German magazine my parents used to order. I contacted her, and for many years we wrote to each other. Her father had fled East Germany to find work in the West. She, her mother and her sister, were left behind. When I first wrote to her she was 10 years old, I was a year younger. She hadn't seen her father in 5 years.

When the wall came down she wrote to me. She, her mother, and her sister, were finally allowed to cross and be with her father.

I had the pleasure of meeting her once, when my parents and I went to Germany. That experience alone was amazing. :)
    That's a great story, most of my family was from West Germany near Frankfurt.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2013, 01:55 PM
    In no particular order!

10 - Experiencing dusk on the 3rd stage of the Eiffel Tower.

09 - Spotting my husband as he manned the rails on his return home from first deployment.

08 - Discovering my disabled son has a wry sense of humor.

07 - Visiting the live volcano on the big island of Hawaii.

06 - Visiting the USS Arizona Memorial.

05 - Hanging out on the balcony at Mardi Gras.

04 - Watching my daughter (age 5 at the time) exclaim "She's Real!" at the start of the Disney parade where the Tinkerbell character zooms down a fly wire.

03 - Being able to tell me Mom I love her just hours before her passing.

02 - Winning my first (and to date only) first place in a traditional Irish set dance competition.

01 - Experiencing the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls (can't choose between them)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2013, 03:02 PM
    Hello again, E:

Very cool list.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My eyes see things with black spots or lines in black very disturbing to me now [ 1 Answers ]

When I see fir example... braided hair with scalp showing, or I saw a man with black massage stones on his body, things like that makes my skin crawl his happening?and feel eerie.. why is t

Can a lap top give a desk top a virus through a wireless connection? [ 6 Answers ]

Can a lap top give a desk top a virus through a wireless connection?

Top 10 Things Only Women Understand [ 5 Answers ]

10. Why it’s good to have five pairs of black shoes. 9. The difference between cream, ivory, and off-white. 8. Crying can be fun. 7. FAT CLOTHES. 6. A salad, diet drink, and a hot fudge sundae make a balanced lunch.

View more questions Search