Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frib2mon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 11:47 AM
    Us citizen wanting dual citizenship
    :confused: My parents are portuguese born and I have travelled there yearly since birth. I have been debating obtaining dual citizenship with Portugal in order to make travel easier, healthcare while there easier and any future property owning easier. Are there any pitfalls of this or ramifications to my US citizenship?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 22, 2007, 04:03 PM
    I don't believe that the US will allow dual citicenship.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 11:30 AM
    I am confused by your response. What was a hunch and not for sure? I am also disappointed that you would give my response a negative score with this website. What part of my answer did you not agree with?
    PoliticallyCorrect Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Oct 29, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Dual citizenship is always a good idea and citizenship of an EU country allows you to live and work anywhere in the EU. The only exception to this would be US citizenship as it saddles you with filing a US tax return every year even if you do not set foot on the US.

Portuguese healthcare and property ownership rules may be based on residency not citizenship so you will need to separately check this.

And the US has allowed dual citizenship since 1986 so no problem there.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Even though this is old I thought it might be good to mention that although the US will allow you to be a dual citizen, the other country may not allow this. For instance (as a random example) you will lose Japanese citizenship if you take US Citizenship, if the info on the page below is up to date. For Portugal however you are fine, both the US and Portugal allow dual.

Tried to find a cleaner version of this list:

http://www.geocities.com/jusjih/dncdp.html
    Larissa Bona Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frib2mon View Post
    :confused: My parents are portuguese born and I have travelled there yearly since birth. I have been debating obtaining dual citizenship with Portugal in order to make travel easier, healthcare while there easier and any future property owning easier. Are there any pitfalls of this or ramifications to my US citizenship?
    You are eligible to apply for the Portuguese citizenship as child of Portuguese citizens.
    Differently from the US, in Portugal the citizenship is determined by the blood links and not the place of birth. That is: you are Portuguese because your parents are Portuguese, it does not matter where you were born.

Portugal allows the dual citizenship as much as the USA does, therefore if you apply for the Portuguese citizenship you will not lose your American citizenship.

I hope I have clarified all you doubts

>Personal contact information REMOVED<

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Citizenship [ 5 Answers ]

Are there any countries where I can pick up a dual citizenship form, I am US born and don't want to loose my US citizenship - but I also don't want to have to get married just to get a citizenship from another country?:

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello My name is Robert and I'm a legal permanent resident here in the United States, Came here with my parents when I was 4yrs of age. I do run into problems occasionally and was wondering, If I become a US citizen can I still retain my British Citizenship?:confused:

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My father and grandparents were born in Paris, France. I was born in the United States, where I now live. I am interested in dual citizenship with France and the U.S. for studying purposes. I live in Philadelphia, but I believe the French Embassy is in New York. Does anyone have any...

View more questions Search