Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CAROLMELDRED40 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 10:51 AM
    General Journal versus Cash Payment Journal
    I have an ethical issue case I'm working on, but am stuck. I would like to know how would I determine which journal to use say for example, you go on a business trip to Australia and take your spouse along at company expense. Well that is unethical for sure, but you are best friends with the vice president so she decides to reimburse you for all the expenses incurred from travel and entertainment even thoug it is execessive. Well if the president reviews all expenses that are recorded in the cash payments journal this issue won't be seen since the vice president posted this information to the general journal. I'm confused. Does recording in the general journal rather than in the cash payments journal affect the amounts of cash and total expenses report in the financial statements? Why would the vice president record these expenses in the general journal? Can someone help me please?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2007, 05:06 PM
    It doesn't matter what journal it is posted in, it will all affect the cash account.

Perhaps the President only reviews the cash disbursements journal and not the general journal so that is how the Vice President plans to hide it from the President?
    sunshine18 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Wow... amazing... yes I agree with captain.. it will affect the cash account and reason can be the president doesn't see general journal!!
    But hope you enjoy the trip with your other half !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

General Journal Entries [ 1 Answers ]

How do I make a general journal entry for expenses the owner has paid out of his pocket? This is a new business and beginning capital came from an invoice to a customer and not the owner.

Prepare general journal enteries [ 2 Answers ]

:( Prepare general journal enteries to record events a. purchase raw materials for $65000 cash b. used raw materials Dept A 21760

General Journal Posting [ 4 Answers ]

If you have a general journal entry that is an infusion of capital of say 10,000 cash, I would debit cash and credit capital for the amount. However, when you post the entries, where do those balances go? What happens to the general journal entries? Do they stay for the entire fiscal year or are...

Cash Payment Journal [ 1 Answers ]

On December 17 On your Mark paid $1,500 to Keystone Insurance company for the premium of on a six month insurance policy, Check 1001. I got the Account name which is Keystone Insurance Company but then I don't know what the $1500 goes in there is General Debit / Credit, Accounts Payable Debit,...

View more questions Search