Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolfe453 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2012, 09:39 PM
    Can child support levy a bank account if you are paying child support weekly
    My boyfriends name is on my checking acct. He also has his own account. He is paying weekly child's support from his pay check to the state of NH by court order. Massachusetts child support put a levy on all of my account and all of his account. None of the money ($1669.90) in my account was his. I was under the understanding that you can't owe 2 separate states child support. It seems apparent that NH did not notify Mass. About the weekly payments or communicate with them on this issue. Since I do not live with this man, is there anything I can do to get my money back?
    paulal Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2012, 09:52 PM
    Yes they can and they will, trust me its been done to me!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 21, 2012, 03:48 AM
    I don't know where you got that impression, but a person can have support orders from multiple states. However, not on the same child.As ling as his name is on the account, he is considered an owner and the account is subject to attachment for any debt he owes.

If this is for the same child. Then you need NH to tell MA that they are collecting. And then you have to prove that all the funds were yours.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 07:35 AM
    Is it for the same child ? Or different children?
    If for the same child is the original case in Mass and moved to NH?
    Is there back support that he owes, he may be paying current now, but is there a large sun he is behind in payment ?

But yes, once you put his name on your bank account, it is his account too and they may take that money. You will have to file with the court and prove that the money is yours and not his money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support taking from bank account? [ 4 Answers ]

I believe I may owe child support, can The Child Support agency garnish or take money without my consent, from a bank account, or savings account at a bank?

Child support levy over drawn our account by $1,517.37 in this legal [ 1 Answers ]

Child support levy over drawn our account by $1,517.37 in this legal

Bank account levy in Texas child support case [ 1 Answers ]

How can I find out if the Texas AG filed a levy against my bank accounts in Texas because of past due child support? I just recently moved to Texas and every time I deposit a check into my checking account it takes almost 10days to get it cleared... while my wife's checks into her own account take...

Child Support Levy On My Savings Account, How Could This Happen? [ 2 Answers ]

I woke up this morning and noticed that $3,600 was missing from my savinings account that my wife and I share. We are in the process of moving so we have been saving to do this. I have always paid and have never been late on payments. I'm sure your wondering why I have a balance to owe then. ...

Child Support Lien on bank account [ 22 Answers ]

We discovered this evening that our bank accounts were frozen by child support. We have had no notification of this from anyone. My husband has 3 children from his previous marriage About 2.5 years ago my husband lost his job due to serious illness when he got a new job the salary was...

View more questions Search